Cannot connect to my FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvsjr

Guru
First, you need to slow down and take a deep breath. Charging head-long into a problem like this will result in frustration in data loss. You have two issues to address... your boot device is failing, and you've got a drive missing from your pool.

Do you have a configuration backup? I'm going to guess no. First, I'd start by replacing the boot device and installing the latest production version of FN. If you're using a USB stick for your boot device, STRONGLY consider moving to a single, small SSD (I've literally bough a handful of $20 40GB Intel 320s off eBay which are perfect for this task). Get your new FN up and running. Then, import your pool using the GUI. Once that's happy (check zpool status), then you can start determining why that one drive went offline.

Just to be clear, your data isn't tied to the FreeNAS install. You can destroy your boot device and restore from a configuration backup, or import a pool into a bone-stock FN install with zero data loss.

falukky

Explorer
Currently i have all my data in another system so its all good.
Now i am using USB stick but i have small SSD with 60GB and i will use it from now.
So now i dont have any data on my NAS that i need to consider is reinstall or not.
The only issue here is that my board have 6 SATA connectors and i have 6 hard drive so if i want to use my SSD i need to pass one hard drive and maybe use RAID-Z1 instead of using RAID-Z2

gpsguy

I would contribute to use RAIDZ2. Since you don't have any free SATA connections, install FreeNAS onto a pair of new quality flash drives.

Did you backup/save your configuration yet? If you haven't- do it before you do anything else.

falukky

Explorer
BTW my FreeNAS is up asnd running now without 1 hard drive and i have save my configuration.
I will try to connect the missing hard drive and in this case i can run my FreeNAS maybe install FreeNAS 11 using update option and after that try to understand and fix all my errors ?

falukky

Explorer
What do you mean install FreeNAS onto a pair of new quality flash drives ?

gpsguy

I mean buy 2 new high quality flash drives, remove your old flash drive, stick the new ones in and install FreeNAS onto the pair of mirrored flash drives.

gpsguy

Please don't install 11.x. At this point it will introduce new variables. You haven't told us what exact version you are running. 9.x spanned serveral years and had a lot of changes.

falukky

Explorer
How can i install FreeNAS onto the pair of mirrored flash drives and what are the benefits of this ?

gpsguy

just like you did for a single drive, but this time, select both of them as the target. There's a picture in the documentation.

How can i install FreeNAS onto the pair of mirrored flash drives

What do you think? Why did you go with RAIDz2 vs a set of striped disks?

what are the benefits of this ?

gpsguy

After you re-connect your old hard disk, re-run zpool status and post the new results.

Read the docs / search the forum for SMART tests. At a minimum, you'll need to run it on the problematic hard disk. Post those results here.

falukky

Explorer
just like you did for a single drive, but this time, select both of them as the target. There's a picture in the documentation.

What do you think? Why did you go with RAIDz2 vs a set of striped disks?

But i can install FreeNAS all the time over USB stick and reload my configuration

falukky

Explorer
OK so i connect my hard drive, the system is running and this is the results:'

O9QrgPf.png

p5YdXSO.png

gpsguy

But i can install FreeNAS all the time over USB stick and reload my configuration

You can run your car with bald tires on snow covered roads. Is it advisable? No.

A good flash drive or two is cheap this time of year. Installing on new drives is recommended in your case. if you do a zpool status -v you can see all the errors on your existing flash drive.

gpsguy

You replace the boot device. In your case a pair of NEW flash drives. I just wanted you to see the problems on the drive and why we don't recommend reusing your current one.

Drivers? No. Flash drives - yes

falukky

Explorer
Why not to format the USB stick and reinstall ?
you think this USB stick is corrupted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.