Cannot connect to host machine via web browser using the IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

shub

Cadet
I am a newbie to the FreeNAS world or should I say to the NAS world. I downloaded the FreeNAS image file to a USB stick and booted the host machine (which is one of my old laptop) from it. I configured the network interface and finally got the IP.

The issue is that I cannot connect to the Web interface with the IP address. When I try to ping the machine from another laptop I get a message "Destination host unreachable". However I can ping the host machine when I boot the machine to a Vista OS.

Can someone please assist?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sounds like you have a networking issue. It sounds like its not on the server though since a different client works.

shub

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. How do I check if the host machine is on the network when I have booted to FreeNAS?

gpsguy

Please clarify this statement. Which machine are you booting to Vista, the host or a client?

However I can ping the host machine when I boot the machine to a Vista OS.

Are you saying that if the host runs FreeNAS, you can't ping it. But, if the host runs Vista it can? If so, then your NIC probably isn't supported by FreeNAS. Given that it's a laptop, that could well be the problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I thought that he couldn't ping his FreeNAS server from another machine with 2 different OSes(one of which is Vista). Vista works and the other doesn't.

Woohoo for clearly written and descriptive posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.