Is there such a thing as a "remote" web browser? (Plugin? Jail?)

There are bittorrent daemons with remote login capabilities (qBittorrent, Transmission, Deluge), in which you use a friendly GUI interface to manage your torrents and downloads.

My question is: Does there exist any such remote web browsers?

For instance, let's say the jail is assigned an IP address of 192.168.1.250, and this "remote web browser" is listening on port 8989. I would access my "web-browser" jail at http://192.168.1.250:8989, and be presented with a simple GUI interface that has an address bar, navigation buttons, and a way to right-click and save files. I would have a dataset mounted at /media/downloads within the jail, which would save my downloaded files in a downloads dataset. (The same concept as with the remote bittorrent options, but rather with a usable web browser instead of a bittorrent client.)

EDIT: I know this can technically be done with a virtual machine, such as Ubuntu, but that would be overkill to run a VM only to use this single function.

Last edited:

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

Such a thing is called a proxy server...

Up to you to point your download directory wherever you wish, like an NFS share mounted from your FreeNAS server...

sretalla