Unable to login to Web GUI - No IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

goshen

Dabbler
I am using FREENAS on an iMAC 2017 model and was able to setup my time machine backup on my FREENAS mini using AFP share.

I temporarily did a reboot of the FREENAS mini and now when the boot up screen displays for me to login to the web GUI console, no IP address is displayed in the console setup screen. I am connected to wifi and also attempted to connect using ethernet cable with no luck. I am able to browse and use the internet without any issue and my FREENAS is fully powered on.

I only see the option to enter 1-12 on the screen with no IP address to use to login as I always do to the web guy. All my files including Time Machine backups are on the FREENAS mini so will appreciate any help in getting back to the console to reconnect the NAS to my iMac.

Thanks

ViciousXUSMC

Dabbler
Have you assigned a static IP to your FreeNAS box or using DHCP instead?

If the latter, I really suggest you use a Static IP and ensure you can reach that IP once the box is fully online.
It may not be receiving your DHCP offers due to a lack of addresses or other configuration issues.

goshen

Dabbler
BTW - I attempted to manually set up the IP address from the console menu with no luck. The IP address displayed did not work as well. I disabled my firewall and anti virus as well.

goshen

Dabbler
I am using DHCP. I don't have static IP address to use, so at the current time limited to DHCP. It was all working a few minutes before and was able to back up my Time Machine multiple times through the day, so not quite sure what suddenly happened.

Have you assigned a static IP to your FreeNAS box or using DHCP instead?

If the latter, I really suggest you use a Static IP and ensure you can reach that IP once the box is fully online.
It may not be receiving your DHCP offers due to a lack of addresses or other configuration issues.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am able to browse and use the internet
I disabled my firewall and anti virus as well.
None of these have anything to do with your problem--they're on your client machine, while your problem is with the FreeNAS server itself (specifically, it isn't getting an IP address).
I don't have static IP address to use
Of course you do--you're on your own private network (aren't you?), so you can assign an IP address within that network.

Most likely a cable's broken or come loose. Check the connections on both ends of the network cable to your FreeNAS box. If that doesn't fix it, log in to the shell and post the output of ifconfig.

ViciousXUSMC

Dabbler
If you connected directly via a switch from your computer to your NAS and the static IP is not working.
That to me says hardware failure.

The NIC on the NAS Box, the Cable, or the Port of the switch you are using.

goshen

Dabbler
If you connected directly via a switch from your computer to your NAS and the static IP is not working.
That to me says hardware failure.

The NIC on the NAS Box, the Cable, or the Port of the switch you are using.
Thanks. Looks like the issue was a bad ethernet cable to the NAS.

goshen

Dabbler
None of these have anything to do with your problem--they're on your client machine, while your problem is with the FreeNAS server itself (specifically, it isn't getting an IP address).

Of course you do--you're on your own private network (aren't you?), so you can assign an IP address within that network.

Please pardon my ignorance, how do I assign a static IP address within my network? Not sure if I have a private network but I get my Internet service through my ISP and connect the NAS via an ethernet cable.

Most likely a cable's broken or come loose. Check the connections on both ends of the network cable to your FreeNAS box. If that doesn't fix it, log in to the shell and post the output of ifconfig.

Thanks you are correct. I found out that the ethernet cable to the FREENAS mini was defective. After I switch it, and rebooted the NAS, it worked, although the console still reported/displayed that the DHCPOFFER was still not received. I was able to login with the IP address I added to the ipv4 manually during the initial troubleshooting. The strange thing is that the web GUI login screen displayed briefly and then I got redirected to an error page with CSRF verification failed. Request aborted.

Status
Not open for further replies.