Cannot Change IP on Interface through GUI

ApexProxy

Dabbler
I am trying to set an IP on one of my interfaces and it will not save. Within the GUI I go to the interface and disable DHCP and Autoconfigure IPv6 and it allows me to enter in an Alias. I enter in 10.0.1.2/24 and hit save and nothing changes. A small progress bar at the top of the small config window flicks by and the save button grays out and nothing changes. I can still set the other interfaces through the GUI just fine. I have tried using netcli to reset the interface, using the garbage can next to the interface, and rebooting the whole server in between tries.

The only way I have been able to get an ip set on this interface was ifconfig and manually entering it in but the IP only seems to stick for a few seconds and then is gone again and changing it again only intermittently works.

Can anyone think of why this one interface is broken or how to reset it at a deeper level?

I'm on an HPE Apollo 4200 G9 running 22.12.0 Bluefin.

ApexProxy

Dabbler
I'm unsure if you mean something different than I mentioned above with ifconfig?

I am very new to TrueNAS and Linux as a whole so I'm not trying to be snarky btw.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm unsure if you mean something different than I mentioned above with ifconfig?
Yes. There's a console setup menu, which will allow you to configure your network. Try using that.

artlessknave

Wizard
enter in an Alias.
why are you trying to set an alias? it sounds like you have removed DHCP, not set an IP, and are expecting an alias to work when there is no primary IP?

settings changed in the console often do not apply, or are reset at reboot/upgrade

danb35

Hall of Famer

artlessknave

Wizard
Because "alias" is what the iX devs decided to call a static IP in SCALE.
oh. well that is......strange. but I guess I can rescind that question.

browntiger

Explorer
I do that. Running the apps on entirely different subnet. Apps eno alias is 192.168.2.7 and truenas ui is 192.168.1.7. (Private kubernetes is still 172.x.x.x). This allows me to use the ports 443, 80 for apps on 192.168.2.7

The reason you can not update those addresses easily because: Trunas will try to restart all pods on a new ip. This will take some time.

Best way is to set the address and reboot...

Trevor68

Contributor
Do it from the console menu (with a physical monitor plugged in) select network configuration, enjoy. The GUI is er, ah, not great? at setting network stuff.

ApexProxy

Dabbler
I tried changing things through the /etc/netcli interface and was met with basically the same results as ifconfig. A fleeting temporary change and then reversion.

I fully reinstalled bluefin and got it all set up again and I still see the problem and I am suspecting it is less specific to me and more of a TrueNAS thing?

I have 3 NIC cards, 1 built in with 4x 1G interfaces (eno1-eno4), the second card is a flexlom with 2x 40G QSFP+ (eno49 and eno49d1), and the third single 1G is in a PCI passthrough to pfSense for use as my WAN.

The issue I'm still seeing, I have one interface, eno1 with an alias set to 10.0.1.2 and another interface, eno49 set to DHCP getting an IP of 10.0.1.10. If I attempt to switch eno49 from DHCP to a static of 10.0.1.8 I get the same issue as before, when I hit save the button grays out and a progress bar up top flashes by and then nothing else happens.

I noticed some issue with things not appearing to work when I switched over to pfSense as my DHCP server and Gateway so I created a bridge on eno49 called br50 (an accident as I meant it to be br40 for 40G lol) and set it to DHCP instead of the port which immediately got an IP and after directing things to use this bridge everything came up. Now my issue is, I want to set a static/alias on br50 but no matter what it wont let me UNLESS I choose an IP outside the subnet range of the alias on eno1.

Basically I am trying to make it so I don't lose connectivity to the server if a NIC fails and I prefer not to have servers on DHCP.

TLDR: I can set one interface's alias (10.0.1.2) to the same subnet as another port on DHCP (10.0.1.10) and both work. I cannot then set both ports to alias' on the same subnet even if I use the same IP (10.0.1.10) that DHCP had assigned.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I tried changing things through the /etc/netcli interface
/etc/netcli is not the console menu for SCALE. It's still present (I have no idea why), but it isn't the same as the console menu, and it's pretty well guaranteed to bork your configuration.

artlessknave

Wizard

danb35

Hall of Famer
did they abandon it entirely? I liked the idea.
No, SCALE still has a console menu, just like CORE--it just isn't reached by running /etc/netcli.

artlessknave

Wizard
oh, I'm confusing things, nevermind. I meant did they abondon the console commands, but I was thnking thats what /etc/netcli was for some reason.

Trevor68

Contributor
Have you tried in the 0-9 settings via a monitor yet? That is the only place I know that works

ApexProxy

Dabbler
No, SCALE still has a console menu, just like CORE--it just isn't reached by running /etc/netcli.
I'm under the impression that /etc/netcli is the same as what you see with a monitor connected directly to the server aka Console. It's simply a method to access it through the shell or SSH. Unless it's functionality has been recently changed? The documentation still exists for it and it is where I found that function in my digging for a solution.

https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/gettingstarted/install/consolesetupmenuscale/

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm under the impression that /etc/netcli is the same as what you see with a monitor connected directly to the server aka Console.
Judge for yourself. Here's what you get if you run /etc/netcli on SCALE 22.12:
1672030869342.png

...and here's the actual console menu:
1672030956618.png

That docs page is a mess in more ways than I can count; this is just one of them. As I said up-thread, /etc/netcli is the console menu for TrueNAS CORE, and it will most definitely break things if you try to use it with SCALE--I have no idea why it's there at all in SCALE. If you want to launch the console menu from a SSH session in SCALE, run cli --menu.

edit: /etc/netcli shouldn't be present in SCALE; here's a ticket to have it removed:

...and here's a ticket against the docs:

Last edited:

ApexProxy

Dabbler
That docs page is a mess in more ways than I can count; this is just one of them. As I said up-thread, /etc/netcli is the console menu for TrueNAS CORE, and it will most definitely break things if you try to use it with SCALE--I have no idea why it's there at all in SCALE. If you want to launch the console menu from a SSH session in SCALE, run cli --menu.

edit: /etc/netcli shouldn't be present in SCALE; here's a ticket to have it removed:

...and here's a ticket against the docs:
Interesting, good to know. It's amusing that even enterprise level software has documentation issues haha.

I also see that cli --menu can be executed through shell which is convenient for me since I can retain connectivity through having multiple interfaces while testing IP changes.

I will see if that will let me change things tomorrow.

Trevor68

Contributor
I guess I missed something, is there something preventing you attaching a monitor?