L3192

Dabbler
Hello,
I am new to FreeNas..

I am trying to test FreeNas 9.3-STABLE on the following hardware:

SuperMicro 6027R-WRF
* 64G RAM
* 2 512G sata disks for the OS which were both selected during the installation
* 20 4TB drives(which were also seen during the installation process)
Note: the installation seems to identify the correct number of drives and mnodel so I do not think it's a driver issue.
* usual 1G nic interface

Successfully burned and installed the following image: "FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201601181840.iso" on the hardware listed above. However, upon reboot, the installation is not found.

Here is what I have tried as recommended by the install guide:
1. force boot from the hard drive
2. set bios to legacy
3. tried using the onboard Intel software RAID option and the installation does recognize the two drives as one, however, it cannot identify the type of drive; which makes sense, but was not sure if is a good option.

So, I'm looking for some help and or ideas on what else to try to see if I can get FreeNas to boot.
Note: This particular system works fine running a few different flavors of Linux with no problems so I know the hardware is fine.

Thanks!

jlpellet

Patron
While I do not have your hardware, I recommend changing the onboard setup to treat the 2 boot drives as separate units then reinstall. It sounds to me like the onboard RAID sware is likely the problem. Everything I've seen strongly recommends agains any RAID sware - just let FreeNAS manage the drives. Also, you could start with an install to just 1 drive with the 2nd unplugged from the SATA cable. If that install works, the GUI lets one add a redundant boot drive later. Good luck.

L3192

Dabbler
@jlpellet - Thanks for the help. I disabled the onboard software raid and enabled AHCI, reinstalled and FreeNAS came up.

Status
Not open for further replies.