Cannot access web interface after install (no IP)

owegen

Dabbler
Hello,

after installing FreeNAS I have the error:

the web interface could not be accessed
Please check network configuration

The NAS is not visible on my network.

Many thanks for your help

owegen

Dabbler
20200821_233837.jpg

Yorick

Wizard
Most likely reason is "unsuppported hardware". Please give us motherboard, NIC, FreeNAS version, and then some guidance can be given.

Under Option 1, do you see your network card?

Is the NIC enabled in your BIOS?
Do you have a link light on the NIC?

owegen

Dabbler
Is the NIC enabled in your BIOS?
Do you have a link light on the NIC?
In my opinion it should be enabled because I had the possibility to update my BIOS from internet, It worked.
Yes I see link light on the NIC

The problem seems to be really in FreeNAS. Is it necessary to do something special in FreeNAS Console Setup to have network activated? Or is it a way in the options to check the status?

I tried to install ubuntu on the same machine. Everything works fine, also the network (cable) connection

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard
You should be able to go into shell and dmesg | less and see what's going on with the Intel drivers for that I219V NIC. You'll also want to see that pciconf -lv shows you the NIC inside FreeBSD. If it's not there, the driver can't bind to it.

Yorick

Wizard
Well the i219V is there. In your dmesg, I don't see the relevant portion about Intel, did you actually scroll to the part where the Intel Ethernet driver tries to load? man less will teach you how to use it. In a nutshell, SPACE goes forward, b goes back, q quits, and / searches.

owegen

Dabbler
Well the i219V is there. In your dmesg, I don't see the relevant portion about Intel, did you actually scroll to the part where the Intel Ethernet driver tries to load? man less will teach you how to use it. In a nutshell, SPACE goes forward, b goes back, q quits, and / searches.
many thanks for your instructions!

This time I send you all pages I became. I hope it helps

Yorick

Wizard
“No driver attached” in dmesg for 31.6 which is your Intel NIC. Highly unfortunate.

Fiddling with addon drivers is tricky. Doable but tricky. I’ll suggest to side-step the issue by buying an i210 Intel NIC on eBay, they are around 20 bucks, or maybe one of the server intel nics on eBay, around the same cost. You can use that to get up and running and then take your time to find out what’s going on with the FreeBSD drivers for i219v.

owegen

Dabbler
“No driver attached” in dmesg for 31.6 which is your Intel NIC. Highly unfortunate.

Fiddling with addon drivers is tricky. Doable but tricky. I’ll suggest to side-step the issue by buying an i210 Intel NIC on eBay, they are around 20 bucks, or maybe one of the server intel nics on eBay, around the same cost. You can use that to get up and running and then take your time to find out what’s going on with the FreeBSD drivers for i219v.

I already bought this one, around the same price: TP-LINK TG-3468 PCI Express. I hope it will work.

Capture.PNG

Yorick

Wizard
I’d return that unopened, chances that it will work or work well are slim to none.

FreeBSD Ethernet drivers are not as varied as Linux ones. Realtek chips don’t work well at all, Intel does but there are exceptions as you found. Chelsio is supported well on 10G, and after that it gets a little sparse.

Here’s a server NIC for 20: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orginal-In...120584&hash=item2aec5a7d09:g:UrAAAOSwjZ9fAoEr

And the same idea quad port:

Yorick

Wizard
I am surprised that the i219v isn’t discovered. I wonder how TrueNAS Core 12 would handle it, but that’s not released yet.

In a nutshell about FreeBSD and thus FreeNAS and TrueNAS Core: It runs on a remarkably wide variety of hardware. The two items it‘s picky about are the NIC, and the HBA. Motherboard HBAs all work; for add-in, LSI SAS in IT mode is the right choice. STH has a whole article on HBAs.