Cannot access web interface after install

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmoens

Cadet
Hi,

I'm setting up a FreeNAS server (Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F + 2x Samsung DDR4 16GB 2400MHz CL17 ECC) and got stuck right after the install finished as I can't manage to get into the GUI to access the setup wizard.

The 'Console setup' shows a message:

"The web interface could not be accessed.
Please check network configuration."

Accessing the shell I do however see the NAS has an IP assigned to it (on interface igb0), and I can ping back and forth from it to other devices on my network

Trying to access the web interface (http://freenas/ or http://192.168.1.21/) I get a page saying an error occurred:

"An error occurred.
Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error log for details.

Faithfully yours, nginx."

It seems to me like FreeNAS isn't aware that it's connected to a network even though it is. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on here and how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
upload_2018-11-3_10-33-26.png

It sounds to me like you have connected your network at the plug circled in red. That is the IPMI only interface. It does not connect to the rest of the system, only to the IPMI remote control feature. The connections circled in blue are the ones for normal network connectivity and you can use one to red and another to blue, no problem, it is like connecting to two different computers.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
"The web interface could not be accessed.
Please check network configuration."

Accessing the shell I do however see the NAS has an IP assigned to it (on interface igb0), and I can ping back and forth from it to other devices on my network

Trying to access the web interface (http://freenas/ or http://192.168.1.21/) I get a page saying an error occurred:
We need to know what version of FreeNAS you installed. When reaching out for help, it is a good idea to follow this guide in regard to what information to provide:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-8-3-16.45124/

hmoens

Cadet
I'm actually connected to one of the blue ones (bottom left on the picture at the moment which seems to correspond to igb0)

As for set-up:
- FreeNAS 11 (FreeNAS-11.1-U6.iso if that helps)
- Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F
- 2x Samsung DDR4 16GB 2400MHz CL17 ECC
- FreeNAS is installed on WD Green 3D NAND SSD M.2 120GB
- 2 WD Red 4GB disks (but not configured yet as I can't make it to the tutorial)

Can't get the exact build info yet as I can't get into the GUI, but as it's a clean install I'm guessing the used ISO should be telling.

hmoens

Cadet
I realized that I hadn't really tried the other 3 ports:
- The two rightmost ones (which I think correspond to the faster ports) do nothing (ifconfig shows no information, and the lights on the port do not go on)
- The one above the one I used before (igb1) behaves like igb0: lights go on and I can reach it via ping, but the console setup screen shows "the web interface could not be accessed.

Extra bit of information: I see "unknown dhcp option value 0x7d freenas" come by from time to time during boot

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm actually connected to one of the blue ones (bottom left on the picture at the moment which seems to correspond to igb0)
I believe that is the port to use for this. Go back to that if you will and lets try something else.
- FreeNAS is installed on WD Green 3D NAND SSD M.2 120GB
We have had some problems with certain model SSDs working correctly, and I think this is one of them. Something to do with the integrated controller in the SSD. I am concerned that some component of the OS may not be loading correctly. Do you have a USB drive you can use instead of this SSD as a test to do another installation? It would actually be great if it were just an old USB 2.0 drive, and 8 GB is plenty large. The thing is, you said that you are getting an address and you can ping but the web page doesn't come up. Now that I know about the SSD, I am thinking it might just be that the OS is not fully loading in some way. If we can do a test with different boot media, it might give more insight.

hmoens

Cadet
I tried it using a 2GB USB stick as that's all that I had at hand.

The first time I tried it it didn't work, though as FreeNAS was also on the SSD I'm only 99% sure things were actually running from the stick.

For the second try I physically removed the SSD (thus guaranteeing that I'm booting from the stick). Then it did correctly start with an accessible web UI.

So, either I did something wrong booting from the USB or the presence of the SSD itself is what's causing issues (not just trying to boot from it). For now I'll reinstall on a larger USB stick once I get my hands on one, but to you happen to know where I can find more about the SDD issues? If I can't boot from it I'd prefer at least being able to use it as a cache...

hoserama

Dabbler
I’m not sure where you can find more details on SSD’s and comparability but I have been running a Samsung 850 Evo as my boot drive for approximately a year now with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pro lamer

Guru
where I can find more about the SDD issues?
Start with searching our forums for "SanDisk plus", boot problems and sm2246 controller.

Sent from my mobile phone

pro lamer

Guru
as a cache
Instead: There might be some workaround - disabling TRIM IIRC allowing boot use. Not sure if it would work for SanDisk only...

Sent from my mobile phone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.