SOLVED Cannot Access All Folders in an SMB Share

spyke01

Cadet
Hi Guys,
I recently switched from Amahi to FreeNAS and all has been well until I tried to access a few folders in my SMB Share.
I'm have an SMB share that will be used by Mac, Linux, and Windows PCs on my home network. I have a single extra user for myself and a single extra group called DataSets which my user is a member of. For my Pools, all pools are permissioned to be part of the DataSets group with ownership being granted to root. The issue is that when I connect to the share from finder, not all of the folders within the pools are accessible. Some show as greyed out. These are typically 1 - 3 levels into the Pool and do not seem to be consistent. I've chowned all files and folders to be root:DataSets in case the initial rsync had corrupted the perms on the way to the server but this does not appear to have fixed the situation.

I've created an imgur album with images covering Pool configuration, Pool Permissions, Share Config, shell output, and the issue https://imgur.com/a/LUP027a

Any help would be great.

Mannekino

Patron
Let me preface that I'm not an expert but I did some extensive reading on this matter when I first setup my FreeNAS server and did more fine-tuning throughout the years. Basically for SMB shares you need to set the ACL type of the dataset to Windows. This will create different ACLs for managing access. The easiest way to go about this is make your own user the primary owner of the dataset and any underlaying folders and maybe also your primary user group. What you then want to do is use a Windows client to set the access rights on the share and replicate them to all underlaying files and folders. You can also do this with the commands getfacl and setfacl inside a shell on the FreeNAS server.

Using Windows Explorer you can simply right click on a folder and manage the persmission. You can then add multiple users and groups and give them seperate access depending on your own situation and what you need. It can get a bit more complicated if you want to give a jail access to a dataset also but this is all doable. For example I have a Transmission dataset that I want the jail and plugin be able to write to but access it through SMB also from my PC. I could explain this proces in more detail if you want.

I suggest you take a look at this resource https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/methods-for-fine-tuning-samba-permissions.50739/

spyke01

Cadet
Thanks for the info, I made the changes on my NAS and then connected with a windows machine. The I went ahead and updated the sharing security permissions to give my account full control on all. After doing this I tested again from the mac and still have the same issue. The strange thing is that from the windows machine I can access all the folders perfectly fine.

Any idea what would cause the share to work fine on one device (Windows 10) but not on another (Mac High Sierra) using the same smb login?

spyke01

Cadet
I found out the reason this was happening. Under the SMB share I had "Default Permissions" unchecked. Once I checked this I was able to gain access to all the folders.

Redcoat

MVP
Thanks for taking the time to come back in, advise the answer and mark "Solved".