Cannon install Freenas to SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

avgeek

Cadet
(Can not )
Hello all. Trying to get my first Freenas system up and running.

I have recently downloaded the latest .iso file for Freenas 8.3.0.
Using Roxio, I burned the image file to CD. I am trying to install the Freenas system to an internal SATA SSD.
I am able to start the boot process from the CD but I do not get an option to install to the SSD but rather it appears to be trying to boot and run from the CD.
I get the Welcome to Freenas screen, and if I do nothing, it will continue the boot process.
I then receive some kind of CD0 SCSI error: Medium, and the boot process hangs.

I have read in another thread where I need to use an older CD Rom Drive, as it is detecting it as a SCSI device. ? My fairly new ASrock motherboard does not have IDE ports - only sata.

Taking the long route, I was successful in getting the .img file to a USB stick using 7zip and Win32diskimager.
The system boots up fine from the USB and I was able to access it using the web interface. This is great from a hardware perspective, everything seems to check out, but it's not what I wanted.

Is there an easy way to get my image file from the USB to the SSD?
Is it possible to put the installer file on the USB and have it install to the SSD?

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can write the image file that you wrote to the USB to the SSD...

avgeek

Cadet
As in opening my other PC, (not the Freenas system) connecting the SSD to the internal SATA port and writing just like the USB?
That was my next option but I was just looking-hoping for an easier way.
Still stumped about the CD issue though.
Thanks

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi avgeek,

A couple of things......

First, installing FreeNAs to an SSD is a waste. Install to a USB key instead.

Try booting the install CD on something else.....anything else....just to make sure it works. It could simply be that the install disk was a "bad burn" so it would be good to verify that it works at all.

You can install FreeNAS on any PC you have & just move the FreeNAS boot device over to the FreeNAS box when you are done.

So let's say you take all the advice provided here and apply it. After you verify that the install CD-ROM boots in another computer you could take your 4GB (or bigger) flash drive & plug it into the "other" computer, boot the install disk & install FreeNAS to the key. When the installer prompts you to reboot you can reboot it & just power it off once things shutdown and just move the USB key over to the FreeNAS box. Boot that up, go into the BIOS & set the boot order to try the USB key first then save, reboot & start enjoying your new FreeNAS install.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.