FreeNAS won't boot after install to SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebsdrules

Cadet
Hi All-

I'm currently upgrading my FreeNAS system and am having problems post installation. I have a Supermicro x8dth-i motherboard and am using a USB drive to install. I am able to install to an onboard SSD (intel, 240gb drive) but then when I reboot and remove the install media, it tells me to reboot and insert proper boot media. In the BIOS I have enabled it only to boot from the one onboard SSD HD.

Any thoughts? I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure why the heck it won't boot from the SSD.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Not having experience with that specific motherboard my first advice would be to power off, disconnect your hard drives for your pool and leave only your boot SSD connected. Now go into your BIOS and ensure you have it setup properly to boot from the SSD.

If this does not fix it, during the FreeNAS installation what did you select for the boot option, Legacy or UEFI? If you selected UEFI then reinstall using Legacy. If you selected Legacy then I'm a bit stuck too.

If you are able to get the system to boot, then power off and reconnect the hard drives. Power ona nd hope it works. If it fails then you need to go back into the BIOS and ensure one of the hard drives is not the first boot device.

freebsdrules

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestions. I removed the SAS cards and restored BIOS settings to optimal (I did buy this server used and added my own SAS cards) and it booted to the already installed SSD right away. Put back in the SAS cards and still booted right away from the SSD. All 16 of my disks are available and I'm finishing the initial setup now. Thanks again!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you got it to work and hope it stays that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.