Can view HD, but not create volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moving to FreeNAS from Synology DSM by Xpenology.com and having some problems getting my HD detected ny FreeNAS. I can view the disk (wipe etc), however I cannot create any volumens, as the disk is available in the dialog. I've moved the disk from Synology DSM, where it has been in used in a raid 1 setup with DSM's hybrid raid. I've attached the disk to windows and deleted all the partitions, but still no luck. What am I missing here?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can't wipe them? A quick wipe followed by a reboot should allow you to do almost anything you want with your disks after that.

This is in the messages log, when I try to do a wipe:
Jan 22 23:15:25 freenas notifier: gpart: arg0 'da1': Invalid argument
Jan 22 23:15:25 freenas notifier: gpart: geom 'da1': Device not configured
Jan 22 23:15:25 freenas notifier: gpart: arg0 'da1': Invalid argument

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Maybe try wiping them on a windows machine or something. My guess is the raid data left over from your previous setup is confusing FreeNAS.

This is also in the log:
Failed to wipe da1: dd: /dev/da1: Device not configured

I've just tried to attach to a windows machine again and create a volume, to see is that makes any difference. Still the same result.
Any information is greatly appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, I have no further recommendations I could make from the forum. You should try zeroing out the drives with some program like dban or equivalent.

Hmm - looked through the forum and it seems to be an issue with exsi/LUN raw attached harddrives and FreeNAS. Too bad - back to Synology DSM it is.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So you were using virtualization and made no comment of it at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.