SOLVED Help! Can't create volumes from disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguere

Cadet
I am fairly new to FreeNAS, but not new to network storage. I have 3 disks (1 OS/boot - ada0, 2 x 2TB SATA drives - ada1, ada2). I was able to install FreeNAS on ada0, but can't create volumes out of the 2nd and 3rd drives. The disks are visible in the "View Disks" window, but don't appear in Volume Manager to create volumes.

When I attempt to wipe the unused disks, I receive the following error:
MiddlewareError: Failed to wipe ada1p2: dd: /dev/ada1p2: Operation not permitted
MiddlewareError: Failed to wipe ada2p2: dd: /dev/ada2p2: Operation not permitted

I've tried everything I could with the dd command through the CLI and still no luck. Any ideas?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
gpart destroy -F ada1 might do the trick. Seems like the drives currently have partitoins and data on them.

Also what hardware are you using?

jguere

Cadet
It's an old Frankenstein, but the data drives are Samsung 2TB 7200 IDEs.

When I run that command, I get a "device busy" reply. TBH, I think I may have messed up the install and included all three drives in the boot mirror...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Well you either selected them or you didn't. What's the output of zpool status?

Frankenstein build are terrible for FreeNAS. Great to play around but will probably cause you to lose your data at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

jguere

Cadet
That was my next step... here's the output:

[root@freenas ~]# zpool status
pool: freenas-boot
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for
the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot DEGRADED 0 0 0
mirror-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
6772644818802639031 UNAVAIL 0 0 0 was /dev/ada0p2
ada1p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada2p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

jguere

Cadet
All 3 drives are definitely in the mirror... I don't know how I couldn't been so dumb... at this point, I just need to know how to detach them from the mirror, so I can wipe them.

jguere

Cadet
I'm guessing I have to reinstall and make sure the primary boot drive is healthy, then detach and wipe, since my ada0 drive is showing unavailable...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can probably detached or offline them under the boot tab in the gui. Or just reinstall to the correct drive.

imkidd57

Cadet
Many thanks: this thread helped me with the same problem (no disks available for pooling, even though could be seen separately in 'Volumes -> View disks').
Had stupidly installed FreeNAS to one of the large HDDs intended for the pool.
On reinstall menu, temporarily went to the shell and used 'gpart' command as above to destroy all data on 4 disks, then proceeded back to menu and install FreeNAS to the small HDD.
Thanks again!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
@jguere if this was a fresh install and you have a degraded disk you need to test all those disks before using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.