can't wipe drive - "Operation not permitted"

bwanajag

Dabbler
I moved 4 drives from a Synology NAS that died into a newly built freenas box but am unable to wipe the drives to create a pool. I get the following error when I run the wipe command
Code:
[EFAULT] Command dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada2p2 bs=1m count=32 failed (code 1): dd: /dev/ada2p2: Operation not permitted

I've searched and found many discussions about with a dozen varieties of dd commands but there doesn't seem to be a definitive solution. Is there any freenas instruction on how to wipe a drive from the shell when using disks that have previously been used? Thanks

hervon

Patron
Do you really have to wipe the drives before creating a pool ?

melloa

Wizard
If everything else fails, create a boot CD/USB and use GParted live.

bwanajag

Dabbler
The first thing I tried was to create a pool, that's when I received the first errors. Then I tried to wipe each drive, which gave the same errors, which prompted the searching. Thanks for the GParted option, didn't think about that. I ended up following the option discussed here and it worked. The process that worked for me was to run the following commands...

Code:
sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada2 bs=1m count=1

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada2 bs=1m oseek=`diskinfo ada2 | awk '{print int($3 / (1024*1024)) - 4;}'`

...I need to run the dd commands for each of the 4 disks, then I shut the box down, restarted, and was able to wipe the drives and create the pool.

dspeed

Cadet
The first thing I tried was to create a pool, that's when I received the first errors. Then I tried to wipe each drive, which gave the same errors, which prompted the searching. Thanks for the GParted option, didn't think about that. I ended up following the option discussed here and it worked. The process that worked for me was to run the following commands...

Code:
sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada2 bs=1m count=1

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada2 bs=1m oseek=`diskinfo ada2 | awk '{print int($3 / (1024*1024)) - 4;}'`

...I need to run the dd commands for each of the 4 disks, then I shut the box down, restarted, and was able to wipe the drives and create the pool.
This worked for me today!

Thanks!

peakrock

Cadet
I'm a newbie to TrueNAS and I was having problems reusing 3 x 1TB drives from a Windows Server. Even though I'd erased and formatted them on Windows I could only "wipe" one of them when trying to create a Storage Pool on TrueNAS. I tried wiping the disks individually but it failed again so I used GParted to create a new partition table on each of the disks and could then create a storage pool no problem, so thanks to this thread and a similar one I found elsewhere recommending GParted.