Drives not displaying in "view disks" but display in "view volumes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antioch18

Explorer
I recently set up my first FreeNAS build and am having a problem with the "view disks" function not working correctly.

When I first installed FreeNAS I had a USB thumb drive, and 2 disks connected to the machine. I've since removed everything but the thumb drive, and installed my main disks (brand new, unused). I created a zpool using the new disks just fine and it shows up in the "view volumes" page.

The trouble is that the "view disks" page still shows my old, original drive set and not my new harddisks. I've tried rebooting the system but that doesn't work.
How can I force the system to refresh the disk list?

Thank you!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Did you just remove the disks without exporting the zpool first? I believe the database gets confused if you don't export the zpool first. What version are you using? What hardware are you using?

Antioch18

Explorer
I never imported the 2 original drives - they were simply connected to the system when I installed it. So no, I didn't export them - I merely unplugged them while the machine was off.

Using FreeNAS 8.3.0-p1.

Hardware I don't recall the exact details:
Motherboard/CPU: Supermicro X7SPA-HF-D525-O Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz Motherboard
RAM: 8GB (forget brand)
USB Thumbdrive: Patriot Xporter 8GB
Current HDDs: WD Red 3TB

Previous Disks: 1x Kingston SSD, 1x WD Green 1.5TB HDD

My array is still empty, I haven't copied any data to it. I could simply re-install FreeNAS, but I want to understand why this is happening and make sure it doesn't happen again when I add more disks and create another zpool (which I plan to in the future).

Thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
You *almost* have the exact same board I have, mine is the "HO".

Anyway, like Cyberjock said, you need to export your pool or the database gets left with the info for the old disks. Doing a factory reset from the GUI or reinstalling should fix it.

Antioch18

Explorer
Anyway, like Cyberjock said, you need to export your pool or the database gets left with the info for the old disks. Doing a factory reset from the GUI or reinstalling should fix it.

Sure, this makes sense supposing I had a pool to begin with. I didn't. Those disk were not used at all! That means there should be nothing that needed exporting, right?

In any case, I will reinstall and be mindful of always exporting whenever I remove disks. Do I still need to export even when I want to add extra disks to the current set?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
The view disks screen is 100% independent from the pools, for a long time now.

EDIT: SSH in and run service ix-syncdisks start

Does it work or it spits out any errors?

Antioch18

Explorer
The view disks screen is 100% independent from the pools, for a long time now.

EDIT: SSH in and run service ix-syncdisks start

Does it work or it spits out any errors?

It just works - no errors, nothing.
What does the command do and what does the result mean in regards to my problem?

Thanks! :)

Antioch18

Explorer
Heh. Well, as I said I don't mind reinstalling the system since it's fresh anyways. I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again after I add new disks to the machine -- which I plan to.

Status
Not open for further replies.