File Management on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark WatIng

Explorer
Hi All,

Quick question - whats the best way of managing files on FreeNAS volumes?

I have a Mac and share my volumes using AFP.

I recently moved from Xpenology (Sysnology DSM) to FreeNAS and one think I miss most is the graphical/web based file management and the ability to close the browser knowing that the task was running in the background - really useful for disk backups to external devices and moving around large volumes of files.

Perhaps I missing something easy here?

Many thanks,
Mark.

m0nkey_

MVP
All file managed in FreeNAS is done remotely, unless you want to manipulate files over SSH or something.

I also suggest switching from AFP to SMB since Apple is deprecating the AFP protocol.

Mark WatIng

Explorer
Hi Monkey -
All file managed in FreeNAS is done remotely, unless you want to manipulate files over SSH or something.

I also suggest switching from AFP to SMB since Apple is deprecating the AFP protocol.

Thanks Monkey - wanted something that I could do locally with a nice graphical interface especially as I use my Macbook for work so. Was thinking about setting up a VM and using a FreeBSD/Linux distro - seems overkill. - might check out docker container.

re AFP could switch to SMB although I use Time Machine so don't think that works over SMB?

Thanks
Mark.

m0nkey_

MVP
I use Time Machine so don't think that works over SMB?
Support for Time Machine over SMB is coming. As far as I know, most of the work has been done upstream in the Samba project. I could be wrong, but it may be one of the features of FreeNAS 11.1.

Mark WatIng

Explorer
Just read about it - cool - need to think through my shares to my Mac - do I go SMB or NFS...... (thats another thread).

danb35

Hall of Famer
File management through the web GUI is often requested, but thus far the devs haven't decided to add that feature, citing security concerns. They did add the Midnight Commander a few versions back, which helps a bit (especially if run in a tmux session), but it isn't near as nice as a web-based file manager.

Mark WatIng

Explorer
ok thanks for the update danb35!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
winscp? This would let you manipulate files on the server with a gui, kindof.

Mark WatIng

Explorer
winscp? This would let you manipulate files on the server with a gui, kindof.
thanks but looking for a local GUI manager for FreeNAS that is asynchronous

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

danb35

Hall of Famer
What on earth is the asynchronous bit supposed to mean here?
Presumably that it will return control to the user before completing the desired operation--if you tell it, for example, to copy 3 TB of data from one location to another, it will execute that task while allowing you to perform other operations. You know, like the web GUI doesn't do.

Mark WatIng

Explorer
correct - you kick off a file transfer move etc.... and then it runs as a background task - so you can either carry on with other tasks or close the browser and we connect later on to check on progress - I believe the new UI is being rewritten with this principle in mind which could be step one to this file management fucntionality - I've raised a feature request - see what happens.

Thx
M

danb35

Hall of Famer
Maybe late in the game,
Just a little bit, since I mentioned mc in October. Though I think tmux is preferred over screen for FreeBSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.