Can the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 connect to 12 drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan W. Smtih

Explorer
I'm working on a new FreeNAS build. It will have:

- 11 WD RED storage drives in a 8+3 RAID-Z3 configuration, and
- 1 SSD for a SLOG.

I'm looking at the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W power supply. Based on the Hardware Guide, it should have plenty of power. I just can't tell if I can get 12 SATA plugs out of it.

Zooming in on the photos, I see three "SATA#" jacks. The cords appear to have three plugs each. So, nine there.

I can't tell if I can use another three output/plug cord jacked into the "PREIF1" port that's next to the "SATA#" ports. If so, then I'm covered.

The "PREIF1" port appears to have the exact same pinout as the "SATA#" jacks. So, I would assume it would work, but I'd like to verify that. (I haven't been able to figure it out from the main product page either.)

Does anyone either know that answer or know where I can figure it out?

(Or, have a pointer for another PSU that has the horsepower and coords to power 12 drives.)

Matute

Dabbler
Hi, I am I don't know about that PSU, but AFAIK related to the horsepower needed to drive 12 WD Reds, assuming 3TB disks I saw claims that go from 4.1 Watts in the official info to others that state almost 16 Watts in this test So it seems like a worst case scenario would be 16 Watts each, that's assuming the worst case scenario for every disk at the same time roughly 200 Watts (192 to be exact) I'm not sure about what else you're running (how many CPUs, NICs, amount of RAM, etc) but I don't feel that driving that quantity of HDs should be that hard on the PSU. Anyone with real world experience can throw some light on the amount of power needed to drive 12 Reds?

iammykyl

Explorer
Gday.. You can find a good picture on this review, > https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_750/2.html
the "PREIF1" is a 12V 4 pin Molex socket. The supplied cable is a 4 pin Molex male plug with 4 female sockets spaced (550mm+100mm+100mm+100mm).
You can use 3 adapters to connect the other 3 SATA drives, > https://www.startech.com/Cables/Com...Molex-to-SATA-Power-Cable-Adapter~SATAPOWADAP
Hopefully you do not have more than one other device installed that requires a Molex feed, i.e. Optical drive.

Newegg has listed PSUs with up too 16 SATA power connections.
> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...07657 600053807 600158678 600053808 600014094

Last edited:

iammykyl

Explorer
Thanks for the updates.

I've done a little more digging and ended up switching my plan to a "Seasonic 750W Power Supply ATX12V/EPS12V Energy Star Certified, Snow Silent 750; SS-750XP2".

In the Q&A section, someone states that it comes with cables to connect 14 SATA devices. (The spec page only lists 10, but even if that's the case I can use adapters for the last two.)

Thanks for the help!
The PSU does only have 10 SATA connections. two cables with four plugs each and one cable with two plugs. You will need adapters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.