Can not start VM after unmounting cdrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

yacenty

Explorer
Hi,
I had set up a VM with ubuntu 16.04
I put and virtual cdrom with iso. Installed the system, set up my web application. Did some test. Few times restarted the machine. Few times upgraded the ubuntu.
Last time I had upgraded kernel to 4.40.x and in parallel decided to unmount virtual cdrom.
Deleted the virtual cdrom, and after trying to run the vm I get such an error on vnc.

Now, I reenabled the virtual cdrom, but then ubuntu installer starts and wants me to start the system once more.
Can I fix it somehow?
Regards
yacenty

Attachments

• screencapture-192-168-0-166-5802-vnc_auto-html-2018-05-03-23_32_20.png
    screencapture-192-168-0-166-5802-vnc_auto-html-2018-05-03-23_32_20.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 417

yacenty

Explorer
no, I had decided to put only NAS functions on the FreeNAS device and the second one PC for some applications

KrisBee

Wizard
Your VM refused to boot as the bhyve UEFI firmware couldn't find the necessary boot efi file in your Ubuntu install once the CD iso was removed. Hence you where left at the EFI shell.

Attaching a rEFInd cd iso to your VM would have enabled you to boot it, or exiting the EFI shell and navigatingt to the EFI that was installed.

All discussed at length here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/howto-how-to-boot-linux-vms-using-uefi.54039/ (The thread needs bringing up to date and tidying up)

yacenty

Explorer
Yes, in theory it could be, but after I attached iso once more, the system tried to install ubuntu from the scratch. Little bit crazy for me.
Probably the problem was with the order of the images.
At installtion time cd iso was first, and hard drive was second. Then harddrive first, and cd iso second.
Then I rearranged it - so I had same order, but booting up failed. So i got rid of that functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.