can i add a hdd for raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooter

Cadet
Hi im new to freenas and looking for some advice. I recently had my prime nas drive go down (wd my book live) and was lucky to get my data of it. that sparked a search for something better and found freenas now ive had to make to from parts i already had i know its not advised but im hoping to add and upgrade as i go. im only gona use it for tasks like ftp, cifs music and movie server for xbmc 1 or 2 clients max so i dont need a mega nas realy. ok now for the question. I have a box with 2 hdd 1 500gb for torents 1TB hdd for my shares and personal files photos docs and the like I would like to add another 1tb hdd to set up as raid so i have some fall back if things go wrong but only for the 1tb shares disk. (if the torents one dies i can live with that) so is it pos to add a disk and setup raid and not have to backup all the existing data no the drive. thanks.

Noctris

Contributor
Yes, you can "attach" a disk to a pool to mirror it ( raid1)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You have to do this from the CLI, though, since the GUI doesn't have this option yet (it's coming in FreeNAS 10. Unless it gets deferred to the next version... again.).
For instructions, search the forums.

Adding and removing mirrors is the only exception to the rule that vdev configurations are immutable.

tooter

Cadet
Ho thanks for the awnsers what would I search I don't know the terminology thanks

Noctris

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.