Can FreeNAS boot and run FROM a USB stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

couzin2000

Cadet
This is my first time posting.
I've done multiple searches, so now I need a point in the right direction. I saw a video on Youtube (I think it was this one but I'm not sure without re-watching: https://youtu.be/ICblwRtUito), where it says that FreeNAS can be installed onto the USB stick, and can load itself into RAM -- only. I don't have a separate SSD to run FreeNAS on in this machine, nor do I wish to use the extra SATA port. I would just like to set my BIOS to boot from USB and for it to load the whole thing into RAM, and that's it. RAID 1 setup has to be used.

Can this be done, and if so, is there a post or instructions on how to do it?

(Please bear with me, I,m still new to this site, I'll find my way soon.)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You don't "need" 2 unless you plan on mirroring them.

garm

Wizard
Ya you do, one with the installer and another one as a boot device

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Oops, I read the response incorrectly.

couzin2000

Cadet
To clarify the instructions, what I get from it is:
  • 1 USB key gets written on (following the instructions), and the installer gets copied inside said key;
  • then I connect this first key and the second empty one onto my new computer, and the installer key INSTALLS FreeNas inside the second key;
  • I set my BIOS to "Boot from USB" and the second USB key will become my boot drive. The first key can be formatted or otherwise erased, and no longer is used.
Am I correct?

garm

Wizard
To clarify the instructions, what I get from it is:
  • 1 USB key gets written on (following the instructions), and the installer gets copied inside said key;
  • then I connect this first key and the second empty one onto my new computer, and the installer key INSTALLS FreeNas inside the second key;
  • I set my BIOS to "Boot from USB" and the second USB key will become my boot drive. The first key can be formatted or otherwise erased, and no longer is used.
Am I correct?
Ya

Skro

Contributor
Hi couzin2000,

You are correct, but I really would recommend using the second USB drive as a mirror of the first and use good quality USB drives not just what you have lying around. If you look through the forum you'll find many people who have had issues and they generally aren't recommended by the gurus because they have a high failure rate.

FYI, I also chose USB for boot because I didn't want to lose a SATA port and have been running my system without any issues for about 14 months, but I'm considering switching to SSD in the near future. If it helps, I'm using 2x SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drives. Good luck!

couzin2000

Cadet
...You are correct, but I really would recommend using the second USB drive as a mirror of the first ...
Ehm... MIRRORED USB drives? I wasn't aware that was possible. Can you point me to the nearest info link please so I know how to put this all together?
Thank you so much guys, you are all very helpful!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The user manual would be a good place to start.

kdragon75

Wizard

Skro

Contributor
Ehm... MIRRORED USB drives? I wasn't aware that was possible. Can you point me to the nearest info link please so I know how to put this all together?

How to Mirror the FreeNAS Boot Device (Legacy UI):
  1. Open your FreeNAS UI in a browser.
  2. From the System tab, select Boot
  3. Click the Status button
  4. Select either freenas-boot or stripe
  5. Click the the Attach button
  6. Select the appropriate device from the Member Disk drop down and click Attach Disk
***Borrowed from here.***

Status
Not open for further replies.