Can a plugin jail be changed to a jail created via the GUI or CLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckTape

Cadet
Dear Everyone
I have transmission all up and running getting its TV downloads from Sickrage. I joined NordVPN to keep the torrent downloads away from ISP's eyes. The jail created when Transmission was set up is throwing an error when trying to set up openVPN using this walkthrough

https://myriad.ca/index.php/2018/01/29/set-up-vpn-transmission-on-freenas-11-1/

I know it uses a different VPN but I was hoping to wrangle my VPN setup into the process.

I never got that far, the process halted at step 11
"root@transmission_1: ~ /usr/ports/security/openvpn : make install clean"

I get this error (I have truncated this to the part that grabs the attention)

"Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release."

From reading other posts on this subject there seems to be a leaning towards creating the jails via the CLI
to avoid this issue.
which I would need to read up on, but before I get started on that I wanted to know if the Transmission plugin can be pointed at a new jail created via the CLI and if so how you go about that.

I am a complete Noob to FreeNas, Unix/Linux style command line. If it wasn't for this forum and youTube I would have nothing working.

my freeNAS build is FreeNAS-11.1-U5

Regards DT

DuckTape

Cadet
Just to add my setup was a clean install about 6 weeks ago on new hardware. There has been one update in that time.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think you're probably best to wait the 2 or 3 weeks before the release of 11.2, which has been promising the migration of warden (old GUI) jails to iocage (new GUI/CLI) jails.

You could look for the resources (top left here) and find the one on installing iocage jails (there's one for transmission on that resource post) and build it yourself now, but it seems like you're not yet confident enough with CLI to go down that road.

silverback

Contributor
[QUOTE="Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release”
DT[/QUOTE]

Your link describes installing nano and bash from pkg.

Did you try installing openvpn from pkg?

pkg upgrade

pkg install openvpn

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The transmission plugin uses Warden as the jails manager. Warden is being replaced with iocage in the upcoming 11.2 release. The Warden template in the current version of FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD 11.0 which is EOL and no longer supported. That's why you are getting the error message you are.

If you aren't up for a manual install of whatever software you want to run in an iocage jail then I would suggest waiting until 11.2 is released and run the plugin you desire then.

DuckTape

Cadet
Thanks folks

[Sretalla] Thanks I may have a play around with the CLI creating a jail else the next release may be the answer.

[Silverback] no I didn't proceed with anything else, I spent all my time reading up on the error I got.

[jailer]
Just to clarify, if I have a go and create a new iocage jail
and install the Transmission plug in that new jail.
As it's a jail, the worst I will have is a none working Transmission plugin
everything else is protected is that correct.
I am not too bothered if Transmission is out of action for a while, while I figure that out as long as I am in no danger of messing anything else up.

if all else fails I can still fall back on the new 11.2 release getting me up and running again with Transmission when it's released.

Thanks DT.

DuckTape

Cadet
Sorry just to be certain
Creating a jail either via GUI or CLI in version 11.1-U5
creates a iocage jail. It's just the plugins that are creating the older style Warden jail in V 11.1
is that correct?

Thanks DT

sretalla