Can a containers config be exported/imported in Truenas SCALE

Antede

Dabbler
I have been testing SCALE waiting for the final release, checking out it's capabilities to see it's fit for my home use and it really does tick all the boxes.

I am hoping someone can direct me how to export and import a containers config once it is up and running.

I am looking to do this to be able to recreate a container from scratch. Some containers execute certain functions only on creation and if the config is not correct the first time then I need to manually setup the container each time. Further as a home user I might decide to delete a container but want to be able to easily recreate it later if required.

Thanks for any assistance.

HarryMuscle

Contributor
You can use the API to retrieve information about how your containers are setup. With minor modifications that info can then be used to recreate those containers. It's not a true import/export setup but it works well in my experience.

Thanks,
Harry

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Seems the folks over at TrueCharts have taken care of that if you run their containers...

Antede

Dabbler
Thanks both. I am still not seeing how this can back the config of a specific container config.
Individual container requirements sometimes have a lot of config, eg. network, multiple environments variables, multiple volumes mapped to datasets in pools etc. Ideally I don't want to note each one down and then manually reenter when creating again.

I am hoping for a better approach;
- @sretalla - Thanks for the idea on 'truetool' but it appears to be more system wide (eg. refers to 'complete apps system') rather than individual containers

Cheers

truecharts

Guru
TrueTool is just for bulk/automatic updates and complete Apps-system backups, it's not an import-export tool,
We're open to add that in the future though.

However, exporting and importing generally isn't needed. Because due to the design, each update/edit basically completely rebuilds the existing App anyway.

Antede

Dabbler
@truecharts Thanks for the response, it is my understanding that a container creation has a different trigger code within the creation of the container, of course I stand to be corrected.

The export/import I think would still be useful on a per container basis, to allow for individual container testing and removal as well as the ability to duplicate containers like one can do with the docker-compose file.