Can containers be exported/imported in Truenas SCALE

Antede

Dabbler
I have been testing SCALE waiting for the final release, checking out it's capabilities to see it's fit for my home use and it really does tick all the boxes.

I am hoping someone can direct me how to export and import a container once it is up and running.

I am looking to do this to be able to recreate a container from scratch. Some containers execute certain functions only on creation and if the config is not correct the first time then I need to manually setop the container each time.

Thanks for any assistance.

Antede

Dabbler
Apologies but I only just noticed the seperate "TrueNAS SCALE" forum and so have reposted this question.

waqarahmed

iXsystems
iXsystems
@Antede they cannot be officially exported/imported as of right now. However there are steps you can follow to emulate an export/import. Basically in SCALE, containers are ephemeral. So an easy way might be to use separate host path(s) for storage and spin up an application using your desired config. Once the application is live, you can save it's configuration ( which is json basically ) and via the API re-create the application tweaking some configuration if you want - this way you can emulate export/import, i know this is not ideal and that is why i would request you to please create a suggestion ticket at https://jira.ixsystems.com so that we can have this knocked down in a proper neat/clean manner :)

Antede

Dabbler
After further reading on Kubernetes, would the use of 'Helm Charts' be preferable mechanism to setup containers.