Can’t add L2ARC or SLOG in anglefish

Spoon

Dabbler
I’m having some trouble adding a SLOG or an L2ARC in TrueNAS-SCALE-21.04-ALPHA.1. I’m not sure if I’m just being a bit thick or if I’ve found a bug.

The rig is as follows and has just been put together:

HPE ML30 Gen10
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E-2224
MEM: 64GB (2x32GB ECC)
OS Drive: 1x Intel® Optane 800p 118Gb
Storage: 4x 10TB WD Gold (2x Mirrors)
Storage: 1x Intel® P4600 1.6TB
L2ARC: 1x Intel® Optane 900p 280GB
HBA: 1x 9400-8i
NET: HPE Mellanox CX5 25GbE, 2 ports (10GB fibre link, 25GbE DAC to workstation)

I’ve successfully imported my old pool (4x 10TB) and have set the P4600 as a separate pool which will be used for vm’s and general scratch disk. I have a single Intel® Optane 900p 280GB that I would like to use as a persistent L2ARC, however can’t for the life of me figure out how to add it as a L2ARC in the interface under storage. I select add cache or log and then move the disk to either of them but the “create” button is still greyed out. What am I doing wrong?
View attachment 46961

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Did you give it a name? Name is a required field.
The interface looks like that would create a new pool. The OP wants to add an SLOG to an existing pool. That field should not even be there.

ornias

Wizard
The interface looks like that would create a new pool. The OP wants to add an SLOG to an existing pool. That field should not even be there.
I don't know, it actually looks like he didn't select a current pool to edit.

Also: A cache drive is not a SLOG to begin with.

Spoon

Dabbler

Spoon

Dabbler
My mistake I tried to create the L2ARC from the create button at the top of storage. Using the configure button of the pool and adding another vdev => cache allows the addition of the device to the pool. From a UI point of view maybe could be cleaner?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
From a UI point of view maybe could be cleaner?
I don't think it could. "Create" --> create new pool. Click on existing pool's cogwheel icon - modify existing pool, inlcuding adding vdevs.

But then I am a seasoned Free/TrueNAS user :wink:

Spoon

Dabbler
First time adding anything other than a regular pool. create device and add to pool seemed so likely..

ornias

Wizard
First time adding anything other than a regular pool. create device and add to pool seemed so likely..
You're reply isn't really clear... Can you try to explain what you tried and what is going on?
Because this reply doesn't really seem to respond to the things we hinted you at or requested response/clarification on...

Spoon

Dabbler
You're reply isn't really clear... Can you try to explain what you tried and what is going on?
Because this reply doesn't really seem to respond to the things we hinted you at or requested response/clarification on...

Hi ornias,

This is how I attempted to add the L2ARC incorrectly:
Wrong_1.png

Wrong_2.png

This allows you to add the L2ARC or SLOG as a place you can assign drives too but won't allow you to create the device. It seems to be a UI dead end.

The way I got it to work is as follows:
Right_1.png

Right_2.png

I'm not sure why there is the option available to add L2ARC from the main "create" button? Is there something I'm missing?

Kind regards

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure why there is the option available to add L2ARC from the main "create" button?
To create a pool with one or more data vdevs and an L2ARC all in one go?

ornias

Wizard
Hi ornias,

This is how I attempted to add the L2ARC incorrectly:
So you added the button to create a pool, instead of clicking edit on an existing pool.
I'll file a quick PR to change the create button BRB.