SOLVED Building new Nas

jspfunk

Dabbler
Ok, I have put together a new pc to use as a server. My ryzen 1600 machine keeps freezing. I bought a i5-10600ka CPU and ASRock B560 Pro4 (LGA 1200) MB. I installed Truenas 12-U5.1 and it cannot find my NIC. I get the message "freenas web interface could not be accessed please check network configuration". I am assuming that means the NIC (Giga PHY Intel® I219V) is not supported.

Does anyone have a solution or recomendation for a LGA 1200 board that works well and has plenty of HDD expansion?

Evertb1

Guru
You would have been better off if you read about the hardware recommendations for TrueNAS before buying hardware. ECC memory is highly recommended because of the ZFS file system. Your CPU and motherboard don't support ECC. I would recommend server grade hardware for at least CPU, motherboard and memory. Being it brand new or second handed. Home servers with TrueNAS can be an (sometimes odd) mix of consumer grade and industrial grade hardware. But for a satisfying result at least take care for ECC memory and support for it on your hardware.

ThreeDee

Guru
in regards to your AMD setup .. mixing RAM of which both probably can't do their respective XMP/DOCP speeds. 1st gen Ryzen's IMC (integrated memory controller) wasn't very robust and you were lucky to get 2933 out of your RAM. Plus, running 4 sticks in general is hit and miss with a matched set let alone an miss-matched set.

My wife's 2200g on her ASUS B350 Prime Plus could not run stable at any speed with 4 sticks of RAM installed.
On my daughters 2200g and ASRock B350 Gaming ITX/ac, I could not get 2 x 16GB sticks of 3000 rated RAM to run at their XMP profile and had to dial it back to 2866. It was the same with a 2700x. Upgraded to a 3600x and that same RAM could run at 3200 speeds without issue (didn't try higher).

First off update your BIOS to latest greatest (Version 5606 2021/08/09) and THEN just run 2 sticks in slots A2/B2 (2nd and 4th slots away from CPU) and run them at default non-DOCP profile settings (probably be 2400) you'd more than likely have a stable server. 32GB is plenty of RAM for your setup.

not sure what "RAM: 49gb" and "RAM: 24gb" is referring to in your "show main" sig

jspfunk

Dabbler
@ThreeDee, Thank you for the useful reply. I tested it with no D.O.C.P and just the stock clock. the Ryzen 1600x just will not run for more than a day before it Freezes. This was a known issue with Ryzen, but I thought they had better support for Ryzen with the update to TrueNas 12. I think it had to do with the Cool N quite (or whatever AMD's is). I pretty sure it's the motherboard. I should try it with just the 2 sticks. I would just switch out the MB, but it would be a crap shot to find one that would work with 1st gen Ryzen.

I did just get a new Intel board and it seems to work very well.

Just to let anyone know, I have read the recommended Hardward for Free/Truenas. I really can't afford the enterprise lever of parts it recommends. I use this to store my Movies, TV show, and some personal files. I have a pretty good backup, so I don't need to go crazy with the parts. Minus the HardDrive I have less than $300 in parts.

I will fix my sign for the main, lol. I must have been just pulling numbers out of hat or something. I'm not sure where they came from.

Evertb1

Guru
I have a pretty good backup, so I don't need to go crazy with the parts. Minus the HardDrive I have less than $300 in parts.
Of course I respect the fact that you need to watch your budget. I can't go crazy as well. On the other hand I am always under te impression that on your site of the world a couple of hundred dollars will go a long way if you look carefully. I am from europe (the Netherlands) and I sometimes get tears in my eyes about the to me low USA prices on ebay for example. If I want to order something from a USA seller, the shipping and handling costs are awful, so for me that is out. But let me be honest, I still bought the CPU, motherboard and 2 of the memory sticks (2 x 8 gb) for my file server second handed. It set me back around 225 euro's (about 266 dollar at the moment). And the stuff in my lab rig was even cheaper (a little older though). Anyways lots of pleasant times with your hardware.

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I second @Evertb1 's points. Buying used enterprise gear, with a bit of waiting for the right deal to come along, was considerably cheaper than going for new private end-user stuff. I have to admit, though, that at least here in Germany prices seem to have gone up, compared to one year ago, when I bought my stuff.