BUILD Building first NAS, how do these components sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeNAS

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the NAS world and would like to build my first one. I have an Intel i3-3220 chip that I recently replaced with a i7 chip in one of my computer so I figured I would use that since it's readily available.

I'm looking to use this NAS for a few reasons. I have 5 Hikvision IP cameras (1080P @ 15 FPS) that I would like to record on the NAS. Hikvision uses NFS for this and has built in NVR abilities in the camera software.

Aside from recording the cameras, I would also like to use the NAS as a centralized place to store files that I am working on (I do web development but have multiple computers in the house that I work on), as well as streaming music, movies and of course backing up important files. I need to be able to connect to the NAS from out of the network and I'm wondering if there are some Android apps available that can connect with FreeNAS. I see Sweet Home Wifi is pretty good and popular, that will be good for backing up the pictures on my phone. What about an app to stream movies and music?

I am looking to build the NAS with the following components:
- Intel Core i3-3220 3.30 GHz
- ASUS P8B75-M/CSM LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
- Cooler Master N200 Mini Case
- Toshiba 3 TB HDD 7200 RPM (only 1 for now, money is tight)
- Corsair CX Series 430 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 384 Power Supply CX430M
- 2 GB PC3-128000 RAM

How do these components sound for what I am trying to accomplish?

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do more searching.. 8GB of RAM minimum, server grade parts and ECC RAM highly rcommended, etc etc etc.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Howdy. Cyberjock is exactly right on server-grade and especially ECC being highly suggested, especially if you have critical information you want to protect. Unfortunately this means more money - but as the saying goes, "do it right or do it twice."

What you'll want to "do it right" at the least are a motherboard with ECC support - you'll hear Supermicro mentioned a lot, and for good reason - as well as a second hard drive for mirrored storage. ZFS can't protect you against a single drive containing all of your data failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.