MB HP Z400
Intel Xeon W3520 2.66/8M
16 G ECC 1333 4x4G
IBM 1015 ServRAID
*will buy* 8 x 4Tb
corsair tx650

main use :
10 PCs backup, movies , tv shows, music

is it powerful enough, or should i wait and buy other components , what about power consumption?

thanks in advanced

hertzsae

Contributor
Since you mention media, are you planning on running plex on it? If not, then it's more than enough power. If you are planning on running plex, then it will depend on how many streams.

My only hesitation would be that electronic components generally have a reliable useful life of 5 years. Many will last much, much longer, but a room full of servers will see them slowly start dropping off after 5 years.

hertzsae

Contributor
My guess is that Plex will be fine. Sounds like you already have the box, so you won't be risking anything by trying it out. Worst case scenario, you have to move the plex server external.

Power consumption is likely fine as well. 8 drives is not enough of an outlier that I'm not going to bother checking specs. If you have the time, you may want to run the numbers, but it should be fine.

meth0s

Cadet
That's definitely a powerful system- the CPU and 16GB of RAM is plenty for what you listed as activities.

That said, the Z400 is a higher performance workstation design and pretty power hungry- your chip has a 130w TDP alone and the enterprise mobo and RAM are designed for speed, not power savings. With 8 drives you will probably pull ~100w from the wall at idle, with that going up to ~150w if you are maxing out all four cores.

It will certainly make for a nice server, but be prepared to pay for power- I don't know what your average rate per kwh is, but at $0.15 per kwh that system could cost you an extra $10 a month or so in power if it's on 24x7.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
As a Plex user I'll add this:

You might need more than 16GB of RAM if you plan to do transcoded streams. You also might find your CPU isn't going to cut it with transcoded streams. If you already own the hardware, go for it. Worst case you'll have to buy a faster CPU and/or more RAM later.

With a pool of that size, in conjunction with Plex, I personally would go to 32GB from the start though.

marbus90

Guru
The system would only support max. 24GB with 6x4GB DIMMs, 8GB are seemingly unsupported.

GodfatherX64

Dabbler
^^ unfortunately yes, thank you all for replies, i'm thinking i will sell this WorkS and invest in a new Mboard and i3 CPU, but again unfortunately in my country i cant find any grade server MB,
so does any one know a consumer MB that support ecc ram??

GodfatherX64

Dabbler
i can only find these CPUs in my country , i3 ( 4150 120$ - 4130 116$ - 3240 114$ - 3220 112$ - 3210 110$) , so which one??

Last edited:

GodfatherX64

Dabbler
ok i just viewed CyberJock Hardware recommendations and consumer boards is a NO GO, i will try to find a server board or a supermicro one,
another question , what about Dell servers , like R700s or C2100, can i use these servers??

Last edited:

hertzsae

Contributor
Name brand servers are probably the way to go in a country with limited home build parts options.

Status
Not open for further replies.