Building an NAS hw advice

basown13

Cadet
Hi All,

I moved out of my parents house and looking for an Server to store my data on, just files , backup media of phone, would like to run some docker containers or VM's on it. Also streaming movies and series to my LG TV
I had an Synology DS218+ with the following dockers : sonarr, radarr, transmission, jackett, bazarr, unifi. Jellyfin
Jellyfin is like Plex, so hw transcoding is needed.
I'm living alone for now.

I've an list compiled of parts for the NAS and I think I want to install Truenas scale on it:

1657100372218.png

I'm posting this cause maybe somebody has something to say about this build that I should be better of with X part of maybe this is good.

Total price of the build is around 1.000 euro.

Thanks guys.

basown13

Cadet
I forgot to say I have an M2 NVME disk of 256GB laying around to use as boot disk

Arwen

MVP
Generally we recommend server boards, over desktop or gaming boards. Server boards are generally intended to run 24x7 for years, have server targeted hardware, (like leaving off audio but adding IPMI interface). Further, it's not generally recommended to overclock, (CPU or memory), for a server, so a gaming board overclocking feature is not needed.

You can get a successful NAS from many non-server boards, just suggesting you look at server boards from ASrock Rack, Supermicro, Tyan, and even Gigabyte now has server boards;

It's also helpful to post your ZFS pool layout. With 4 x 4TB you basically have 2 options:
  • 4 disks in RAID-Z2, (can loose any 2 disks)
  • 2 x 2 disk Mirrors, (can loose 2 disk, but must be in different Mirrors)
Both give about the same amount of storage, but support different failure conditions.

Some people might suggest RAID-Z1 to get more storage, and that is a valid design. It is just that most of us like our data, intact and available, so we tend to go with extra redundancy, and use RAID-Z2.

Last, using a M.2 NVMe, (even 256GB), as a boot device is perfectly fine. Cheap, reliable and small SSDs, (like 16-32GB), are getting harder to find.

basown13

Cadet
Hi Arwen,

Thank you for the information.

I've searched for CPU options and Motherboard, I think on getting an xeon entry processor on the new side.
I've not decided if im going for an W series or an E series.

I'm right now got this setup:

This is the H5 LGA 1200 socket
The processor is not listed a price but I can back order it for 330
1657116150540.png

I'm thinking this is maybe a bit overkill ,

If I go a bit older I get an cheaper motherboard and a lil bit cheaper CPU

LGA 1551 H4 socket

1657120204153.png

1657120241718.png

There is sort of 300 euro difference in between setups.

Kinda leaning to the newer CPU socket.
I'll go with the RAID-Z2 setup because the speed is sufficiënt

Any comments on the builds?

Arwen

MVP
Sorry, other than general comments, I can't advise further.

Etorix

Wizard
I'm thinking this is maybe a bit overkill ,

If I go a bit older I get an cheaper motherboard and a lil bit cheaper CPU

There is sort of 300 euro difference in between setups.
Overkill indeed. A NAS does not need the latest and greatest hardware.
Even better: Up to the 9th generation, Core i3 CPUs support ECC. You can replace the E-2224G by an i3-9100, keep ECC memory and save another 100-150 E.