Build NAS (storage and Plex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBillR

Contributor
elicit. illicit is something illegal, unapproved of or that goes against regulations.
And that's why I shouldn't type hastily...

urdel62

Explorer
After some more readings, here is the hardware I picked up for my freenas. I'm quite ready to bood so I ask for a last community check. :)

Supermicro X11SSM-F Intel C236 So.1151 Dual
Intel Core i3 6300 2x 3.80GHz So.1151 BOX
16GB Samsung M391A2K43BB1 DDR4-2133 (up to 48GB RAM could be add up later)
2000GB Seagate NAS HDD ST2000VN000 64MB x3 ( 3 additional disks could be add later)
120GB Silicon Power Slim S55 2.5" (6.4cm)
550 Watt Seasonic G Series Modular 80+ Gold
Fractal Design Define Mini Tower
Cyberpower Value Serie 800 VA / 480 Watt

I have two little concerns : - RAM chosen is well UDIMM ? (i m almost sure)
- Define Mini is good for 6 HDD disks + SSD boot disk ? (I think it s OK by using a 5.25" slot for a HDD)

Thanks a lot,

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
RAM chosen is well
From memory, I think it's the same as mine. Check the QVL to be sure.
- Define Mini is good for 6 HDD disks + SSD boot disk ? (I think it s OK by using a 5.25" slot for a HDD)
I'm not familiar with the chassis, but 5.25" to 3.5" adapters are available in a number of sizes and formats. Additionally, you can just stick the SSD wherever you can find the room (bottom of the chassis, behind the motherboard tray, on the PSU...) using electrical tape, velcro or whatever attachment system you like.

urdel62

Explorer
From memory, I think it's the same as mine. Check the QVL to be sure.

I'm not familiar with the chassis, but 5.25" to 3.5" adapters are available in a number of sizes and formats. Additionally, you can just stick the SSD wherever you can find the room (bottom of the chassis, behind the motherboard tray, on the PSU...) using electrical tape, velcro or whatever attachment system you like.

Ok thanks there is a 5.25" to 3.5" converter included in the case I think in the chassis so it s all right.
For the RAM it's well unbuffered according to the reference.

urdel62

Explorer
Hello,

I'm now in building phase.
I'm looking from hours where to plug hd audio cable on supermicro x11ssm MB but I can t find.
I don't find any tip in the manual.
Can someone let me me where to plug it ?

Thanks in advance

tvsjr

Guru
That's a server board... it doesn't have audio on it. You won't plug that cable in anywhere.

urdel62

Explorer
Thankyou for your answer !!
Hardware is now fine !

I started freenas installation and all went well until I had to reboot and remove the installation media.
After reboot I have this message :
pxe-e61
pxe-mof
'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key '

I went in the bios and my ssd is well the first boot device. I don't see what 's wrong.

Do someone has an idea. For intel, I boot first by with uefi and after change in the bios and select legacy boot.

Thanks in advance,

urdel62

Explorer
Maybe my mistake was to reboot and just after that remove the usb key.
How can I reset what have been installed and restart the installation ?

Thanks,

Donny Davis

Contributor
Who ever needs 32 GB of RAM in a NAS-system? :)

I do, my stuff would come to a screeching halt if I only had 32GB of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.