First NAS build - file storage and Plex

bkeeler10

Cadet
Hello all,

I have been interested in building a FreeNAS server for some time, and I think now's the time to get going on it. I should preface this by saying this will be my first computer build of any kind, though I have dabbled with hardware before. I spent some time going over the most recent build guide (which is very helpful), and poked around on various threads here on the forum to get a feel for what I might need and what issues might arise.

My requirements are primarily a storage device for personal files, including photos and family videos, and also to run Plex and a DVR for over-the-air content, and serve media to endpoints around the house. I don't expect I will need a lot of transcoding (most of my rips will be 1080p or lower for now, and all the devices I intend to stream media to can do their own scaling), but you never know what the future might hold. I would like the server to be capable of doing a couple of simultaneous 4K transcodes.

The data I'm most concerned with is the personal stuff (photos etc). Sure it would suck to lose all my media rips, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. So I would definitely implement a robust backup schedule for that non-media stuff at least.

Anyway, here is my tentative parts list, based on my reading of the hardware guide and build threads with similar requirements. None of this is set in stone by any means. Like everyone else I would like to keep cost as low as reasonably possible. I'm interested in knowing if there are performance holes, or if I'm spending more than I need to. Or any other problems you experts see.

Case: Fractal Design R5
MB: Supermicro X11SSM-F
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3 or v5 (does v3 work with the MB? v3 is less expensive it seems . . .)
RAM: 32 GB of compatible RAM to start (haven't researched what I need for this motherboard yet)
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold FX
Drives: WD Red 2 - 4 TB x 6, in a RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 configuration

bkeeler10

Cadet
After posting this, I was perusing some more and ran across a thread by someone trying to something very similar, and Chris Moore responded with a link to this post was very informative: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/specific-build-components-list-up-to-32gb-ram.109/

This is more up-to-date, and advocates used parts which I am good with. I think I will proceed with that option, but the Fractal Design R5 case seems to have gone up in price since then - any other good options for cases in the sub-$100 range?

This is more up-to-date, and advocates used parts which I am good with. I think I will proceed with that option, but the Fractal Design R5 case seems to have gone up in price since then - any other good options for cases in the sub-$100 range?
For good reason, both the R5 and R6 have a lot of space for HDDs etc. I've got 12 in my R6. :)

hervon

Patron
Seems you skipped your home work when checking CPU compatibility. The Supermicro website has a clear answer:
  1. Single socket H4 (LGA 1151) supports Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 v6/v5, Intel® 7th/6th Gen. Core i3 series,
    Intel® Celeron® and Intel® Pentium®

bkeeler10

Cadet
Well this project kind of fell through the cracks since July. But I am back and determined to get it done. This time around, though, I'm thinking I will not run Plex on this server, at least initially, nor will I store most of my media rips on it. I will leave that to another device. Instead, this will be mostly a file storage server for documents, family pictures and family videos. I would like it to be able to run Plex, so I've moved downscale a little bit to bring cost down but trying to keep it capable of Plex with minimal transcoding. Here's my new hardware list.

Case: Fractal Define Mini
MB: Supermicro X9SCM-F
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Memory: 2 x Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L 1600 MT/s (PC3L-12800) Unbuffered UDIMM Memory CT2K102464BD160B (as found here)
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold FX or Corsair CX
HDD: WD Red 4 TB x 4 (RAIDZ)

I'm not totally clear on whether the RAM I listed will work with the MB. Crucial has a slightly different part number (CT102472BD160B), which they guarantee will work with the X9SCM-F, but it's a ton more expensive and as far as I can tell the one I listed will work too. I could use some input on that.

Does this look like it will work? Thanks.

Just for clarity's sake, do you mean RAIDZ1, or RAIDZ2? RAIDZ on its own is a bit ambiguous. Also, if you're not aware you may want to look into the downsides of RAIDZ1 (similar to those of RAID5). Basically, if one disk goes bad you're without any parity so any further issue with a remaining disk could result in corruption or pool loss. For this reason many folks opt for RAIDZ2 where possible.

bkeeler10

Cadet
I meant RAIDZ1. I had been looking at RAIDZ2 when I was planning on six disks, but I'm trying to save some cash by going with 4 disks, and RAIDZ2 on four disks basically chews up half the disk space with parity. Now, as I understand it, you can't add disks to a pool. So this strategy limits my expansion options - I can only replace disks with bigger disks unless I want to start over. I think I'm willing to live with that.

I will implement a good backup strategy and keep a spare disk on hand so that a bad disk can be replaced immediately. I have read that people have had a second disk fail in the process of rebuilding an array after losing a disk. I suppose that's the biggest risk?

Do you have any input with regard to whether the memory I listed will work with the MB?

Thanks.

bkeeler10

Cadet
Bump

Does anyone have input on whether the memory I linked will work with the motherboard? Referenced in post 5 above. Thanks.

Jessep

Patron

bkeeler10

Cadet
Thanks for the link to that Supermicro page. Looks like the Hynix models are even less expensive, so I will go with that.

G8One2

Patron
I would only use memory from the tested memory list on supermicro's website. Anything else your rolling the dice

pschatz100

Guru
Bump

Does anyone have input on whether the memory I linked will work with the motherboard? Referenced in post 5 above. Thanks.
The memory you mentioned is not ECC memory. I would not use it. Search a little more and find ECC memory.