Build advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

melfort

Cadet
I am looking to build a FreeNas server to consolidate storage as I already have 42TB of across 4 PC's at home - LOTS of recordings and always expanding - 6x 3TB WD green, 4x 3TB WD red, 4x 1TB WD green + 4x 2TB drives assorted manufactures + WD 1.5TB green + 500GB drive - no backups or redundancy at moment - just waiting for disaster to happen and lose data

In the past I just added extra internal SATA or external USB drives for extra storage - now I have too much data spread across too many drives on the network - I used to have stack of 7 USB2 drives on one PC - now have two small eSATA expander boxes that dont work reliably (since found out that this is not a good way of doing it) using USB3 instead to these

I need some advice on what the best solution is - I am looking at other builds but they mostly have up to 8 drives installed on the system - If I am looking at the future I will need more than 42TB - I recently have two old drives fail - rescued most of the data - lost a couple of files.Files mostly in 1-4GB in size

If I use raid-z2 and 4TB drives how many drives would I need to give 48TB of usable storage - and what sort of case would fit the drives? How should I split the drives into different pools - I have read a lot on the forum and the docs but I am still confused - also how much RAM is recommended for 48TB of storage - I see that 16GB is optimal for a lot of setups

Would I also need a second server for backups and would it have to have the same setup

I keep reading about Supermicro boards and cases but I never built a proper server - hundreds of PC's for other people and "servers" that were standard PC's running server software. I was wondering if an external box connected to the server to house the drives would be a god move or to put all the hardware and drives in a single box - is there a card like the M1015 that has an external connection to another box? I cannot afford a fortune but I would like to do it right

Should I also add a UPS to the box to stop power cuts - recent storms have lost power on 4 occasions since Christmas for several days - this should give system time to shut down properly

Thanks in advance for any help

Yatti420

Wizard
One of those Lian-Li beasts that can hold 20+ drives? Always add a UPS if you want to be extra safe with that data.. Raidz-2/3.. Yay... Maybe an x10 series with intel pcie sata/sas expanders in addition to mobo?

melfort

Cadet
Had a look at those but does not look easy to add/swap drives without shutting system down.

I was looking at supermicro web site and there are several cases that have 24 bays onto a SAS backplane like SuperChassis 846E16-R1200B
- will FreeNas work with those SAS expanders - do I only need one M1015 connection in this case

Yatti420

Wizard
Just make sure freenas supports hot-swap / hot-plug or what ever you want to do.. Maybe look to ixsystems?

Status
Not open for further replies.