First build, advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
... so most activity would be sequential.

Don't be fooled, there really isn't much of a definition of sequential when it comes to ZFS compared to what you are used to. ;)

Pirateguybrush

Dabbler
Unless the rate at which I accumulate data increases significantly, 8tb should last me at least two years. By that time, either the cost of adding another 2 4tb drives would have dropped, or larger drives will be available for less. Adding drives would likely be cheaper (and provide larger space gains) than replacing drives by that point, though a little inconvenient as I'd have to offload the data before the upgrade.

The other thing that occurs to me is that I already have two 3tb drives. Buying another 4 would be cheaper than 4x4tb, and a 6x3 would give me more space (as Erinloewe has pointed out). It seems like this may be the best option?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, the options are all on the table, it's just about choosing the best one for you.

For example, a friend has a 24 drive 4U server. He bought 10 disks and made a RAIDZ2 with them. He knew that he would run out of space someday. So when we built his server we used 3TB drives because of the premium for 4TB drives. He's banking on the fact that when he chooses to expand his server he'll be able to buy 10 more disks for less money and add a second RAIDZ2 easily.

If his server would only accompany 12 disks he wouldn't have these options. So the best thing we can do is tell you everything that "can" work and let you spend the money wisely(or foolishly) for yourself.

Pirateguybrush

Dabbler
Of course, I understand. As I'm quite new to all this though, it's great to run everything by those who are better educated on the subject. :)

Pirateguybrush

Dabbler
I've had another thought:

I have five 2tb drives already. Three Samsungs, a WD Black, and another drive I can't recall. So simply by adding one more 2tb I'd have a 6 drive array with 8tb, which should be okay for a while and also give me a reasonable ability to upgrade down the track.

Would combining a bunch of drives from different manufacturers be fine (if a little less than ideal for performance), or does that raise any major red flags?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've had another thought:

I have five 2tb drives already. Three Samsungs, a WD Black, and another drive I can't recall. So simply by adding one more 2tb I'd have a 6 drive array with 8tb, which should be okay for a while and also give me a reasonable ability to upgrade down the track.

Would combining a bunch of drives from different manufacturers be fine (if a little less than ideal for performance), or does that raise any major red flags?

Shouldn't be a problem, at least I haven't seen anyone have problems because of that. Just make sure they're all in good shape before using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.