[BUG] Reboot after Login

dashtesla

Explorer
If you reboot a server using the UI then you forget the tab there and you log back in it will once again reboot and get into a reboot loop (as in it reboots then you log back in it automatically reboots again). I literally just had a tape backup get interrupted because the server rebooted even though i didn't ask to do that and it could've also dropped iSCSI drives etc this is a MAJOR yet silly bug.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Bugs don't get reported here on the forum, use the "Report a Bug" link at the top of the page for reporting bugs.

dashtesla

Explorer
Bugs don't get reported here on the forum, use the "Report a Bug" link at the top of the page for reporting bugs.
It seems to Report a Bug i need to sign up to another platform called Jira so ixsystems doesn't offer a way to simply submit a bug report without relying on a third party account?

danb35

Hall of Famer
ixsystems doesn't offer a way to simply submit a bug report without relying on a third party account?
The way to submit a bug report is to use their bug tracker, which is Jira.

But the behavior you're describing is that if you browse to a URL that will reboot the server, it reboots the server. How is this a bug?

dashtesla

Explorer
The way to submit a bug report is to use their bug tracker, which is Jira.

But the behavior you're describing is that if you browse to a URL that will reboot the server, it reboots the server. How is this a bug?
Ok so imagine you click reboot and the tab just goes through it's process then it logs out the server reboots, the tab sits there with a login prompt AFTER the server has already rebooted. You type the login credentials and the server will once again reboot, you login again, the server reboots, you login again, the server reboots and so on.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It's probably a known browser URL cache problem, not a bug. Check the URL in the address bar before logging in. It will likely contain the full URL to the reboot function. Delete the last items or bookmark the plain login form. TrueNAS allows you to call any deep URL in your browser and - if not logged in already - allow you to log in, then take you directly to the menu item addressed. If that happens to be "reboot", that's what you get.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ok so imagine you click reboot and the tab just goes through it's process then it logs out the server reboots, the tab sits there with a login prompt AFTER the server has already rebooted. You type the login credentials and the server will once again reboot, you login again, the server reboots, you login again, the server reboots and so on.
That does sound like a bug, if it actually happened--but I haven't seen it happen, and I just tested it. But if you can give a specific, repeatable test case, it seems worth reporting--through the bug tracker.

dashtesla

Explorer
It's probably a known browser URL cache problem, not a bug. Check the URL in the address bar before logging in. It will likely contain the full URL to the reboot function. Delete the last items or bookmark the plain login form. TrueNAS allows you to call any deep URL in your browser and - if not logged in already - allow you to log in, then take you directly to the menu item addressed. If that happens to be "reboot", that's what you get.
It didn't, i do agree it's probably cache related but the URL it's just a standard login URL which is why I did login if i saw a reboot URL i wouldn't risk it and this already happened a long time ago with TrueNAS CORE might even have a thread about it here somewhere.

dashtesla

Explorer
That does sound like a bug, if it actually happened--but I haven't seen it happen, and I just tested it. But if you can give a specific, repeatable test case, it seems worth reporting--through the bug tracker.
The tab sat there for an unknown amount of time, it might've been a few days so there could be a timeout somewhere that triggers this condition.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Sure your browser is not shortening it unless you click in the address bar? Seriously, I experienced exactly this a couple of times with CORE until I found out.

dashtesla

Explorer
Sure your browser is not shortening it unless you click in the address bar? Seriously, I experienced exactly this a couple of times with CORE until I found out.
I use Brave browser, pretty sure the URL is accurate. Browsing from macOS Monterey 12.6.2

alexnetdoc

Dabbler
I have experienced the same behavior with shutdown. Scenario:
* shutdown from the brave browse UI for maintenance
* did not close the browser and just closed the laptop lid
* did the maintenance for 40 min
* came again to the laptop to check if UI is working
* after tapping to the tab the server stated that it goes shutdown, so it did.

I was blaming the amd setup because it was 10 hours old :), but then I replicated the same behavior with intel

It might be a bug or a brave browser bug
I did not try other browsers though

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Are you using HTTS or HTTP to connect to the UI? If HTTP we can watch the requests in the clear as the browser sends them to TrueNAS.

If your main network interface is e.g. igb0 then logged in to the NAS as root please try:
Code:
tcpdump -i igb0 -n -s0 -X port 80

And then try to reproduce the issue.

Kind regards,
Patrick

varet

Dabbler
I came to this, as the Bug reporting is broken!
If you try to report a bug from the TrueNAS it fails (I want to report that)
If I login with Atlassian, as I need to report a BUG! i cannot access the Jira anymore.
Mentioned it on my other thread, but no replies!
Bug reporting is broken :\
i endup on: https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals