Browsing or restoring files after encrypted cloud sync

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I'm using TrueNAS Core 13, and I have set up cloud sync with BackBlaze B2, using the client-side encryption option in TrueNAS cloud sync. I've done some test restores to test datasets, and everything works properly. However, I can't figure out any way to browse the files in the cloud or restore a small number of files. (All I can do is restore the entire dataset). In BackBlaze's web browser, of course, all I see is encrypted file names, which doesn't do any good as I don't even know which file is which.

So, the setup I have is great for disaster recovery, after a future fire or flood where I lose my physical NAS. That's great as far as it goes. However, it doesn't help if I want to restore one or a handful or files or directories. One of my production datasets is over 2TB, and there's no way I'd want to restore the entire thing from BackBlaze just to recover one or a handful of files. Not only would it take a while, but there are download charges with BackBlaze.

So, does anyone know a way to browse or restore a small number of files after a cloud sync done with client-side encryption? Perhaps TrueNAS Core has a way to do this out of the box. Alternatively, since I believe that TrueNAS uses Rclone for cloud sync, perhaps there's a third-party add-on for TrueNAS Core or a tool that I could use on a Linux or Windows machine to browse the files in the cloud.

Last edited:

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I figured this out. In fact, TrueNAS Core DOES have a way to do it. When creating a "Pull" task and selecting an encrypted cloud storage bucket in the configuration menu for the task, after typing in the encryption password and, if applicable, the salt, the folder structure under the "Remote" portion of the menu shows up in both encrypted and plain text, so it's possible to browse and choose the directory(ies) and file(s) that one wishes to restore. It's actually pretty simple and worked on a couple of test restores that I tried.

Last edited:

onlineforums

Explorer
I figured this out. In fact, TrueNAS Core DOES have a way to do it. When creating a "Pull" task and selecting an encrypted cloud storage bucket in the configuration menu for the task, after typing in the encryption password and, if applicable, the salt, the folder structure under the "Remote" portion of the menu shows up in both encrypted and plain text, so it's possible to browse and choose the directory(ies) and file(s) that one wishes to restore. It's actually pretty simple and worked on a couple of test restores that I tried.
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but you mention in your follow up that you were able to have the file and directory names NOT be encrypted in the TrueNAS Core Cloyd Sync Tasks edit GUI. I am not able to reproduce this. I put in the correct passphrase and salt, save, go back in and I can see the folders in the remote cloud provider but the folder names are still encrypted. For you, or anyone else, how can you reproduce the ability to decrypt the folder names of the remote cloud provider while in TrueNAS Core Cloud Sync Tasks GUI page (or otherway) in scenarios where I want to pull a particular folder but not the whole bucket.