Cloud sync: zero knowledge encryption

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I'd like to set up cloud sync on Truenas Core (version 13) and have been exploring some different providers. Backblaze B2 looks good, and I set it up with the free 10GB option for testing purposes. It works well and is relatively inexpensive, but I don't think it's zero knowledge encryption, at least not out of the box. In other words, Backblaze could theoretically access the data stored on its servers, which is unlikely but could happen if they have an unscrupulous employee. I read on a blog about Backblaze that there's a way to enable zero knowledge encryption on certain platforms, but I didn't see Truenas Core listed as such a platform.

Does anyone know if there's a way to enable zero knowledge encryption when syncing from Truenas Core to Backblaze B2?

Secondly, what about Mega as a cloud sync provider? They clearly offer zero knowledge encryption and say so on their website, and they're one of the cloud sync providers listed in the Truenas Core dropdown menu, but their plan options are confusing and I've read that they have slow upload speeds (which could be because they're located in New Zealand, whereas I'm in the U.S.).

Does anyone know anything about Mega as a cloud sync provider with Truenas Core? Any other options for providers that anyone recommends?

c77dk

Patron
In the bottom of the sync task you can enable client-side encryption - that way BB/other provider won't be able to access your plaintext. But remember to make a note of password and salt, or you'll be locked out as well if your truenas dies

Patrick_3000

Contributor
Thanks. I just did a test run with client-side encryption enabled, and it works. The files on server side are encrypted and unreadable, which is great.

I still feel, however, that it's a bit less flexible than in the case of cloud providers that support zero knowledge encryption out of the box, because the only way to recover the encrypted files is through Truenas and doing a pull sync, whereas cloud providers that support zero knowledge encryption out of the box, such as Mega and IDrive (the latter of which is not supported on Truenas), allow the user to enter their encryption key to get at the files through a web interface. Still, it's better than nothing.

c77dk

Patron
it's just rclone used in TrueNAS, so possible to get the data on fx. Linux desktop