broken pipe !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvid369

Cadet
Hi can anyone help...cannot run my Nas through freeness 8.3 for Plex...volumes not showing now.. although host visible and reachable.....shows connection to ssh port 22 broken pipe......also password not working..? shows key symbol.......I am new to this and just need help to guide me through a few problems....anyone....help please.....!!!!

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm sorry to say that you may not find much assistance for your problem, primarily because you are running FreeNAS 8.3.

I will try to give you some advice and I'm sure someone else may chime in. Here are my questions for you to answer, please be as descriptive as possible, treat me like and idiot that has no clue what you are talking about this way we limit assumptions and I can provide the best answers in the shortest amount of time.

1) What kind of pool are you using, ZFS or UFS?
2) Are all of your hard drives attached to FreeNAS, no errors?
3) Run a SMART short test on your drives, ensure they are responsive.
4) Post the output of all drives that you ran the SMART test on, use the "code" blocks to retain the data format.
5) Do you have a backup of your FreeNAS configuration data? If not make one even though it may be too late for it to not be corrupt. We might need this.
6) Post the output of zpool status and zfs list in code brackets.
7) What is your boot device? If this is a USB Flash drive then you may need to obtain a different device but lets just see what else you come up with.

I'll stop there as this will help identify the viability of your hardware and basic configuration. I suspect that your problem isn't Plex but more so a failed piece of hardware.

davo369.

Cadet
Hi First of all thanks for reply and even if solution is not found i appreciate your support. Ok I will try and answer as best I can.
1...no idea as pools are not now showing up...although they were music/moviestvshows and a pool itself.
2..I have a 12tb config in a 4 bay nas..which is a HP x serve G4
and as I mentioned this can be seen on my iMac and Macbookair as FreeNAS....host visible/reachable/replies to ping in Oms 4 port are open 22 which is SSH 80 WWW 111 SUN remote procedure call and 548 I have tried connecting via AFP and error message ( no shares avail please contact system admin) and connecting via FTP brings box to input password....then I get error msg...(this file will not allow any additional users...this applies to 548 also.
3..run a SMART short test......have tried this on bash smartctl -t short /dev/adaX but command not found
I do get various messages on SSH such as ssh dispatch run fatal: connection to 192. etc...... port 22 : broken pipe
and Permission denied (publickey password) and prior to that
host freenas can't be established then added freenas.local (RSA) to list of known hosts....then back to permission denied etc...
I'm using an Imac so running disc utility ... I don't think this shows external drives though?
4 cannot as no data !
5 no
6 tried these commands on terminal bash.. command not found
7 ....no idea...

Also going to FreeNAS login page I have x2 key logins with password saved....FreeNAS does not respond to either...

Help....!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
The best I can do right now is give you some steps that will help you at a minimum get FreeNAS running again.

1) Obtain a new boot device (assuming you are using a USB Flash drive).
2) Power down the FreeNAS box, replace the old boot device with the new boot device.
3) Disconnect the SATA ports from your hard drives.
4) Power on your FreeNAS and install FreeNAS 8.3 to the new boot device.
5) Make sure the new device is working and configure FreeNAS network configuration. Don't go overboard in the configuration at this time, we are only getting the basics working.
6) Power down your box and reconnect all the NAS drives, Power the box back on.
7) At this point in time you can either enable SSH (I prefer this myself) and open up a terminal window into FreeNAS or use the console, either will work.
8) All your hard drives should be present so run a SMART test on these drives, do the long test since you would have to do it anyway. Wait for the results. If there are no errors then continue to the next step.
9) In the FreeNAS GUI you will need to import your volume.
10) If your system cannot import the volume then you need to go back to the terminal window and run zpool status and zfs list.
11) If you are able to import your pool then you need to re-establish your shares and you should be all good.
12) Once everything has been reconfigured and you are happy with the way things are configured, create a backup of your configuration file.

I hope this helps, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.