SOLVED Boot Pool Status Is DEGRADED: But unable to identify failed Disk in Mirror ( FreeNAS-11.2-U5)

Arun Kumar

Cadet
There are two SanDisk 32GB in Boot Pool(mirrored ) , got Degraded alert. But unable to identify the failed disk from the information from GUI/terminal !

The point where I stuck is : actually /dev/da0p2 & /dev/da1p2 are the disks ( refer 1st Screenshot ) , but after degradation both are /dev/da0p2 ??

1) Screen shot I took for reference after mirroring during installation time
2019-07-20 12_32_19-FreeNAS - 192.168.8.100.jpg

2) zpool status ( GUI )
2019-07-28 15_23_56-FreeNAS - 192.168.8.100- Degrade Screen.png

3) zpool status ( terminal )
2019-07-28 15_25_44-192.168.8.100 - PuTTY - Zpool Status while degrade.png

melloa

Wizard
First please save your config.

There might be a way to identify the stick, but I'd add a third one, let it mirror, and play with the other two to identify the failed one. Another option is, after saving the config, get two new sticks, reinstall, and restore the config back-up. That option would require you to import the pool.

melloa

Wizard
Can we move above to a new thread as the OP was re: FreeNAS boot on USB stick (and delete this request :)

melloa

Wizard
Yes - please. So you will handle same?

Don't see why not. You have an interesting issue and good post. If kept here, might not be seen as a new issue.

Arun Kumar

Cadet
First please save your config.

There might be a way to identify the stick, but I'd add a third one, let it mirror, and play with the other two to identify the failed one. Another option is, after saving the config, get two new sticks, reinstall, and restore the config back-up. That option would require you to import the pool.

Yes I feel this is a good suggestion "add a third one, let it mirror, and play with the other two to identify the failed one " . Will definitely try this!!

Arun Kumar

Cadet
Wow!! it was a great idea , & worked without any issues "add a third one, let it mirror, and play with the other two to identify the failed one "
1. Added new usb , attached to boot pool ( Mirroring happened automatically )
2. Detached faulty one from GUI
3. Physically removed faulty one ( first i removed the working one, then I got degrade alert , then removed other once , kept the working one back )
4. Degraded alert disappeared!!!

Just one more line ( thought to share , may helpful to others ) :
Initially I got error" CAM status: CCB request completed with an error" while plunging USB to port, ( 2 ports shown same error) , Later connected to another port, and it worked!

Reactions: TAC