Boot Is degraded - Having trouble replacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

UF8FF

Dabbler
Hey everyone,

I have searched around and haven't quiet found the exact situation I'm in so I was hoping this would be an easy fix.

I have a mirrored boot device and one of the USB drives failed. I want to replace it (it's a sandisk) but they don't make that specific stick anymore. I just ordered another sandisk but my current boot drives are 15.5GB and this one is 15.38 -_-.

Is there any way to just clone the good drive onto this new one? I have ordered another USB stick like the current one in the event I need to just replace both and can mirror it -- but what should I do right now? When I try to replace the drive it says it's too small.

Thank you!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have been in your situation. If you backup your config file, you can shutdown the system, take out the old USB drive, put in both new USB drives, do a fresh install on them, reload the config file and be pretty much back in business in a few hours. You will still need to go through all your configurations to make sure it is all there and the 'fresh' install needs to be the same version you already have. Does that all make sense?
Be sure that you have that backup config file first though. If anything goes wrong, you can always put the working boot USB stick back in and go back to where you were.

UF8FF

Dabbler
I have been in your situation. If you backup your config file, you can shutdown the system, take out the old USB drive, put in both new USB drives, do a fresh install on them, reload the config file and be pretty much back in business in a few hours. You will still need to go through all your configurations to make sure it is all there and the 'fresh' install needs to be the same version you already have. Does that all make sense?
Be sure that you have that backup config file first though. If anything goes wrong, you can always put the working boot USB stick back in and go back to where you were.

I do indeed have a backup of the config file - that makes sense. Kinda a pain in the neck but oh well haha. I'll get to it. Thank you!

UF8FF

Dabbler
Another thought; is it possible for me to replace the drive with a larger one? Because if I can find a 10 pack of USB 2 drives that are larger I might just do that. Or does it have to be the exact same size?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Another thought; is it possible for me to replace the drive with a larger one? Because if I can find a 10 pack of USB 2 drives that are larger I might just do that. Or does it have to be the exact same size?
Larger will work. I did that on purpose to move from 8gig to 16gig

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.