Boot Environments vs Configuration Database

nharrington

Dabbler
With the recent issues involving modified dates on copied files, I attempted to revert to my 11.3-RELEASE boot environment from my 11.3-U1 boot environment, but had unexpected results. When I switched back to 11.3-RELEASE, I discovered that recent configuration changes had disappeared. When I went back to U1 as a test, those configuration changes were present.

According to the NOTE box under 7. System > 7.3 Boot:

Boot environments are separate from the configuration database. Boot environments are a snapshot of the operating system at a specified time. When a FreeNAS® system boots, it loads the specified boot environment, or operating system, then reads the configuration database to load the current configuration values.

This seems to indicate that the boot environment and configuration database are separate leading one to believe that if the boot environment is changed, the current configuration would still apply. That does not seem to be the case.

Following the NOTE box is this statement:

The example shown in Figure 7.3.1, includes the two boot environments that are created when FreeNAS® is installed. The Initial-Install boot environment can be booted into if the system needs to be returned to a non-configured version of the installation.

This seems to indicate that the configuration is part of the boot environment (i.e. going back to Initial-Install results in a non-configured installation). This seems to contradict the NOTE box directly above it.

Question #1: Could someone confirm that the configuration database is in fact part of the boot environment and that switching to a different boot environment also returns the configuration database to the state it was in prior to that boot environment being upgraded?

Question #2: Assuming that the configuration database is part of the boot environment, can I boot into 11.3-U1, backup my current configuration, switch back to 11.3-RELEASE, and restore that configuration so that I'm running 11.3-RELEASE, but with my current configuration?

The reason this has become an issue is that I was in the midst of my initial configuration when the U1 upgrade was released, and I installed it to fix the issue with the extra 0415 snapshots. Only a portion of my current configuration existed at the time of the upgrade; a significant amount of configuration was done after the U1 upgrade. With the file copy date issues, I was wanting to roll back to 11.3-RELEASE to wait for the date fix, but then ran into the issue with a lot of my configuration missing.