Bluefin. NFS/SMB on Dataset

NugentS

MVP
From stuff I have been reading, I understand that I will no longer be able to have a dataset that is shared by SMB and by NFS at the same time.

Am I correct? Is there some caveat to this - that I am not aware of?

Unfortunately this is something I make quite a lot of use of. e.g I have an Dataset called Install that contains a whole load of installable stuff. CD Images and Software. I mostly use this for SMB, but also share by NFS so that my ESXi server can access the ISO's and thats just one example. My plex folder is another which would be a problem. So far this has all worked well.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
From stuff I have been reading, I understand that I will no longer be able to have a dataset that is shared by SMB and by NFS at the same time.

Unfortunately this is something I make quite a lot of use of. e.g I have an Dataset called Install that contains a whole load of installable stuff. CD Images and Software. I mostly use this for SMB, but also share by NFS so that my ESXi server can access the ISO's and thats just one example. My plex folder is another which would be a problem. So far this has all worked well.
I don't believe there's any validation to stop you from doing this. Generally speaking, Linux supports this better due to kernel oplock support.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems

The issues that exist are mostly related to NFS writes.... does the NFSv3 client check for file locks and set locks appropriately?

In your use cases, that is not a concern. In a general Enterprise environment, there is good reason to be more careful.

NugentS

MVP
The Install folder is RO for NFS, but Plex is RW for NFS

I guess I will find out in a few days

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The Install folder is RO for NFS, but Plex is RW for NFS

I guess I will find out in a few days
Plex is generally safe since you are writing whole new files.

An App that was modifying partial files is where the thorny issues are.