Blank screen with only a blinking cursor on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

abite

Dabbler
I'm setting up a new freenas server (I'm a noob) and after using PowerISO to create a bootable USB with the latest 9.10 iso, I put in the usb and it is set as the default boot drive. When I turn on the machine all I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left. What could be causing this?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I'm setting up a new freenas server (I'm a noob) and after using PowerISO to create a bootable USB with the latest 9.10 iso, I put in the usb and it is set as the default boot drive. When I turn on the machine all I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left. What could be causing this?
To install from a USB stick you will need a second USB stick to install to.

See the documentation ("Preparing the Media") for details.

Hope this is enough to get you up and going...

abite

Dabbler
If you create a bootable USB shouldn't you not have to do that?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
If you create a bootable USB shouldn't you not have to do that?
The bootable USB with the FreeNAS installation software is what you install from. You still need another USB stick on which to install the software.

abite

Dabbler
ahhhhh, gotcha. So, I've got two USB drives, one that's formatted with nothing on it. The other with the iso on it as a bootable USB. When I turn on the server I'm still getting a blank screen with blinking cursor. I know I'm booting from the bootable USB, anytime I try booting to the other USB device it says "no OS found", so it recognizes there's an OS on my bootable drive... But for some reason I'm not getting the grub menu...

gpsguy

Instead of using PowerISO, try using one of the tools mentioned in section "2.2.2. On Windows" of the docs. Spearfoot gave you a link to it.

Also, please provide detailed hardware information, per the forum rules at the top of the page.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware specs required for all threads. Follow the manual to create the boot disk.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.