Bit of trouble with steam.

j.ferrell

Cadet
ok, so i built myself a NAS box as follows

i7 4770, 16Gb RAM, GT710, 256Gb SSD, DELL 2 channel SAS card, 4x 2Tb SAS HDD

built it yesterday, installed truenas on a raid z1 (4x2tb for 5.14Tib) configured a user and managed to gain access from my gaming pc and my laptop no problem at all. mapped the connection as a network drive.

at the same time i was doing a windows resinstall on the gaming pc since it used to have all the drives in it and now just has the one nvme, so nice fresh problem free.

I installed steam, epic games launcher and battle.net. which have given me some issues

battle.net - wont let me install to the nas at all
epic - installed but wouldn't run, manually set file permissions and reinstalled, now works
steam - installs the games just fine, but WILL NOT run any, always gives a different error depending on the game, but always gives an error. if i install the game on the local SSD it runs fine. i have done directory repair, manually set the permissions, validated fines and tried reinstalling after the changes.

i'm really not bothered about battle.net, i only really play 1 game there and i will just install locally, but my steam library is HUGE and i simply couldn't install all the games on the local drive drive

all tips suggestions and questions welcome (please help.....)

j.ferrell

Cadet
managed to get it working with iscsi.

not quite the solution i had hoped for, but saves me buying any more storage for now till 8tb nvme drives get realistic :)