iscsi for steam games

Frosty_343

Cadet
hi I'm somewhat new to networking but know the basics but I cant seem to get an iscsi to work for any game site like steam battle.net epic or installing through a wizard, yet I can put files on it with normal windows files steam tells me its either "disk error" or "corrupt update files" when i very first made the nas it worked I downloaded bo3 and queued up all my games that I wanted on there in steam and it ran about the same if I had it in my system but one time I restarted my windows machine and the iscsi was disconnected and I had no clue how to reconnect it so I went to truenas deleted the disk and targets and idk if it was that, that broke it or windows but now I cant do anything with it but transfer files through windows, its made out of a random assortment of parts I've tried so much and I'm thinking it has something to do with windows 11 but I really don't want to reinstall to windows 10 I need help bad- I do remember messing around with plugins but it was just the normal ones like the xmminer thing and plex but I don't think it was that, that broke it
32gb ram
2 segate drives 4tb 7200rpm in a stripe (since its just games I don't care about loosing it)
ryzen 7 1700
and 3 usb drives which i did in a stripe just to goof around it was after it stopped working
the network is just a gigabit connecting but I'm getting a 2.5g card soon so it might change

Frosty_343

Cadet
so i was at school and made a similar thing with an iscsi but just for sharing files (we have a server for one of my projects) and i seem to be able to send files and folders to the drive on the computer i made the iscsi with but when i made one other folder all other computers either say you dont have permission or the folder shows as a file instead of a folder im not sure if thats what is happening here and how i fix it or not-

Frosty_343

Cadet
i think i may have fixed it? i was at school and was messing with the non root dataset perms that the iscsi was under and was able to install games under it and play pretty well but i try on my machine at home and either steam stops responding or will take days to complete a 555mb game i think it might be steam being dumb but im not sure

Frosty_343

Cadet
i just remade the iscsi and i believe it works now i think i just tested with fortnite on epic and it downloaded with no issues full speed and i was able to launch and get to the main menu havent tested gameplay yet tho

Frosty_343

Cadet
the only issue is rebooting my pc i have to reboot the nas for some reason idk how to fix that