Bit of a weird one...drives disappear after reboot/shutdown?

Demonitron

Cadet
So, I'll be the first to admit, my server is a little 'hodgepodge', don't judge me too harshly. :D

Specs:
  • Asus P10S-X motherboard
  • Xeon E3-1270 v6 CPU
  • 64GB (4x16) DDR4 ECC
  • Dell PERC H200 (LSI SAS 2008) - flashed to IT mode
  • 4x 8TB WD Red HDD - RAID Z1
  • 4x 480GB Crucial M500 SSD - RAID Z1
  • TrueNAS Scale 22.12.3.2
The server it's self chugs along just fine, never misses a beat & is very reliable...
...except when I am forced to restart or shutdown.

The HDD pool, running off the LSI controller, will die, reliably, every time. It'll just be <poof> gone, or rather the drives are. They'll all be offline on reboot. The only way to bring them back? Unplug & re-plug all the data cables coming from the controller.

No issues with the drives BEFORE shutdown, no issues with them AFTER unplugging & reseating the cables.

But why on EARTH do I have to reseat for them to work!? I've tried a different cable with the same result, too. Guessing it has to do with the controller card as there's no issues with the SSD pool running off the motherboard SATA. But then there are no issues or faults when the server is running on the HDD pool either.

Such a weird issue...and short of changing the controller I'm not sure what else to do.

I did have a thought that perhaps the drives or the controller start up too slowly & get 'missed' during boot? But that wouldn't explain why the unplug/re-plug malarkey works I don't think?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
So, I'll be the first to admit, my server is a little 'hodgepodge', don't judge me too harshly. :D

Specs:
  • Asus P10S-X motherboard
  • Xeon E3-1270 v6 CPU
  • 64GB (4x16) DDR4 ECC
  • Dell PERC H200 (LSI SAS 2008) - flashed to IT mode
  • 4x 8TB WD Red HDD - RAID Z1
  • 4x 480GB Crucial M500 SSD - RAID Z1
  • TrueNAS Scale 22.12.3.2
The server it's self chugs along just fine, never misses a beat & is very reliable...
...except when I am forced to restart or shutdown.

The HDD pool, running off the LSI controller, will die, reliably, every time. It'll just be <poof> gone, or rather the drives are. They'll all be offline on reboot. The only way to bring them back? Unplug & re-plug all the data cables coming from the controller.

No issues with the drives BEFORE shutdown, no issues with them AFTER unplugging & reseating the cables.

But why on EARTH do I have to reseat for them to work!? I've tried a different cable with the same result, too. Guessing it has to do with the controller card as there's no issues with the SSD pool running off the motherboard SATA. But then there are no issues or faults when the server is running on the HDD pool either.

Such a weird issue...and short of changing the controller I'm not sure what else to do.

I did have a thought that perhaps the drives or the controller start up too slowly & get 'missed' during boot? But that wouldn't explain why the unplug/re-plug malarkey works I don't think?
I suspect you might be right... the controller boots too slowly or doesn't identify the drives that are connected. Replugging the drives is like a hot insertion process.

If the same thing happens with SCALE 23.10.0.1... please report a bug.