2nd LSI HBA shows no drives

broozar

Dabbler
Hi everyone, I am consolidating 2 servers (A: pure SSD, B: pure HDD) into 1 server (6 ZFS-SSD and 4 ZFS-HDD), both were previously running TrueNAS and the disks were in ZFS pools. The SSDs are connected to one LSI HBA (2 cables, 8087 to 4x SATA), the HDDs to another (1 cable, also 8087 to 4x SATA). Both controllers are recognised by lspci:
Code:
01:00.0 RAID bus controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)
03:00.0 RAID bus controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)

All 6 SSDs attached to 01:00.0 are recognized without issues, the same goes for the 2 additional SSDs connected directly to the motherboard (1 for the SCALE installation, 1 scratch disk) when running lsblk. However, the 4 HDDs are nowhere to be found. I can hear the disks spinning, but that's it. The HDDs were previously working with the HBA they are connected to in the old server B with the same cable in the same order, also running SCALE.

- Are 2 HBAs supported under SCALE (latest version, just pulled the release a few hours ago)?
- If not, any suggestions on a 4-port 8087 HBA?
- Any suggestions on what I might try to see the drives? In the mean time, I have another identical HBA in storage somewhere, will try to switch cards. Maybe that helps...

artlessknave

Wizard
you could try swapping the SSDs and HDDs around. note that 2008 HBAs are not ideal for SSDs. they were created bofore they really existed and the chips do not have the actual IO for them. probably not gonna matter for 6 SSds but its worth being aware of.

you could also have a bad PCIe slot, or the card might not be seated in it quite right.

the only other thing I can think of is that the 2nd HBA died. this behavior you describe is what I saw with 1/2 of the counterfeit lsi cards I had. the other one is just dead i think.
probably worth checking that you have full LSI instead of the fake ones. you can just put pictures here if you have them.

the setup you describe should just work, but you also havent followed the forum rules of posting your full build.