BIOS update killed TrueNAS install, "you need to load kernerl first"

MarDio

Cadet
Hello all. Freshly updated the BIOS on B450 Tomahawk Max to latest version, just now read they "need" patching, now TrueNAs SCALE doesnt boot, all discs are seen by Mobo, just in case disabled Secure Boot, did nothing, was going to search for the config file i have saved somewhere but before reinstalling thought I'd ask here.
Closest thread I found pointed to going to prev BIOS version.
As close as I can boot message reads:
error: /ROOT/boot/vmlinuz--+truenas has invalid signature
error: you need to load the kernel first

Short of just reinstalling all, any help would be most welcome,

Thank you

artlessknave

Wizard
obligatory: the board is not a good choice for truenas. specs doesnt say the NIC type which usually means its realtek.

with that out of the way, it sounds like your boot disks likely got corrupted.
if you had secure boot enabled and anything it "secures" changed boot would impossible. (i would be fairly surprised if truenas worked with secureboot but maybe it does because debian? interesting)

it looks to me like you should reinstall without secureboot.

note: great you have your specs in your signature. its usually best to include the pool topology. if thats raidz1 you want to ensure you have a backup (well you should have a backup anyway but especially for raidz1, though your disks are below the 2TB ceiling at least)

MarDio

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, figured as much.

And, no, didnt (couldnt) install with Secure Boot, learned that when redoing the whole thing a while ago!

Still cant figure hjow/why the boot disk couldve gotten corrupted cuz bios update, went thru the whole setup on it looking for any changes that I could see, was basically "suggested/default values"
Hardware is just coincidental of what I had on hand, board, case were 2nd hand cheap, I think only like 2 hdds and the PSU are new, on hindsight wouldve gotten a gigabyte boards, since they take ECC ram, but also an MSI b550m VC that has 8 satas and 2 m2s, and all can work together without impairing each other...

Maybe i will, that one.

Thanks

MarDio

Cadet
Oh and forgot, the RAID type cant remembber it, its the one with redundancy but not too much(more space), if that makes any sense, if I could accesss the thing would gladly tell you

artlessknave

Wizard
Still cant figure hjow/why the boot disk couldve gotten corrupted cuz bios update,
there is a reason ECC is very highly recommended, and why server grade hardware is recommended. I wouldn't trust data I care about to that board.
you can get something like a full set of x9scm?e3-1230v2+32GB of ram and an HBA card for 200-400$ of ebay. thats fully supported, ECC, IPMI managmeent

if you are buying hardware just get stuff on the recommendations lists, new or used. random gaming and even workstation boards are often not great. asrock rack and supermicro are really common, and have been the makers of the boards used by IX in some of their homelabby builds like the minis

raidz1 sounds likely. get a backup. the chances of the pool dying while resilving that one drive and killing the pool is too high for the amount of space you get from it.

MarDio

Cadet
Hello, fixed: before reinstalling flashed down, and back up(just couldnt believe anything would corrupt with a bios update, more so when nothing ever booted)
And worked. To answer your question RaidZ1 it is.
Thanks much for the hardware suggestions, will look into into them, but for the time being this is just to learn some, will try to get an nvidia gpu on it, play around with encoding(maybe ARC if i can get one cheap?) see what comes out, also use it for VM stuff, PCIe passthrough and such, should be fun.
Hardware is kinda hard/pricey to get here.

Thanks again!

artlessknave

Wizard
will look into into them, but for the time being this is just to learn some,
its fine for experimentation then. might be a little frustrating.

I, and these forums in general, see people loose data they care about to bad hardware choices and typologies far too often, so tend to get a little bit on the "backups NOW" side until we get more info. starting a post with "my truenas experimentation box died" can help redirect that.

there is a big difference b/w "this is my learning box" and "this holds all my original youtube videos for the past 10 years"