BIOS/MBR only systems not supported on v12 or v13 of CORE?

Gideon-IT

Cadet
Despite the USB installer for both v12 and v13 offering UEFI and BIOS boot options it appears even when you choose BIOS the TrueNAS system disk is formatted as a GPT disk which means it is NOT bootable on non-UEFI systems. Is there no way to create a system that is bootable on older hardware that isn't UEFI compatible?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
GPT can boot just fine without EFI support. There will be a fake "protective" MBR as part of the GPT setup.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Despite the USB installer for both v12 and v13 offering UEFI and BIOS boot options it appears even when you choose BIOS the TrueNAS system disk is formatted as a GPT disk which means it is NOT bootable on non-UEFI systems.
You are mistaken, if everything is working as intended at least: GPT supports a "protective MBR", which allows BIOS or UEFI systems in CSM mode to boot from GPT-formatted disks.

Edit: And ninaj'd by Patrick above...

Gideon-IT

Cadet
Yep. In theory but not in this particular case. I think some older BIOS systems cannot handle this fake MBR code. The USB installer completes successfully each time but the hard drive will not boot. The BIOS doesn’t see a valid bootable disk and moves on to the next defined boot option, which is attempting to boot over the network. I was wondering if there was any way to create an actual MBR system, but I guess not. I was trying to set up a test machine but I only have a ten year old HP desktop to hand at home. I’ve got TrueNAS running fine in a VM on my server but I wanted to test a physical system.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
ten year old HP desktop
And it's not UEFI? That's rather late for non-UEFI systems.

In any case, you can try to chainload TrueNAS with GRUB or Das u-Boot or whatever bootloader works for you, loaded from a separate disk like a USB flash drive. It's janky, but since it's an experimental machine...

Gideon-IT

Cadet
Thanks for your comments folks. I binned that PC - it clearly has issues with a crappy BIOS. I found a different one that definitely support UEFI and legacy bootup and it's working fine...well other than a dual-NIC issue I have posted about elsewhere.