Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Best way to run Plex in a virtualized environment

Western Digital Drives - The Preferred Drives of FreeNAS and TrueNAS CORE

ChrisReeve

Good morning

My current setup is bare bone freeNAS with Plex installed via the plugins page, pretty standard.

HW Specs:
MB: X9SRL-F
CPU: E5-2650 v2 (8C/16T)
RAM: 64GB ECC DDR3
HBAs: 2x LSI 9211-8i in IT Mode
Main pool: 10x10TB WD Red in encrypted ZFS2
VM/Jail "pool": Single Intel 180GB SATA SSD
NIC: Intel X540-T2 dual 10GbE

I am planning on upgrading to a Supermicro X9DRL-IF, 128GB RAM, and another 2650 v2, and switch to a setup where everything is virtualized.

My question is; What is the best/most effective way to run Plex? freeNAS will be dedicated by far the most resources (96GB RAM, Intel DC P3700 for L2ARC/SLOG/SWAP), with the rest covering the hypervisor, and 2-3 VMs (Ubuntu and Windows).

Is it better to install Plex on a separate VM (seems unlikely), or just run it inside freeNAS, like I'm already doing right now?

I am going to more or less follow this guide: https://www.ixsystems.com/community...04-x10sdv-tln4f-esxi-freenas-aio.57116/page-3

sretalla

Wizened Sage
Jails are very light on resources, so will easily beat a separate VM or even docker. Don't waste resources just to have something you can easily have in a jail.

ChrisReeve

Jails are very light on resources, so will easily beat a separate VM or even docker. Don't waste resources just to have something you can easily have in a jail.
Thank you, that is what I expected, so I'll just continue running Plex as a jail.