Best Performance (RAID Option) for virtualized XenServer Environment (VM Storage)

userx

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

I understood that correctly, that the best RAID Option for virtualized VM Storage (in my Case XenServer 7x) is RAID-Z2 with six Discs? I would like to run FreeNAS for XenServer VM Storage on SSDs for that Case. The FreeNAS is connected to a 10GBE Vyos (Vyatta) Switch.

The FreeNAS Software will be Version 11.1 U6
The FreeNAS Hardware will be a Supermicro X10 SRL with single E5-2623V4 and 16GB DDR4 2133 RAM with Emulex 10GBE Network Card
The XenServer Hardware is based on Supermicro X10 DRL with Intel dual Xeon V4, much RAM and Intel X520 10GBE Network Card

I also notices the autotune option on FreeNAS, some Tunable Possibilities and disable the Sync Option on the ZFS Pool.

I would like to realize the best performance for the VMs (mostly Windows) hosted on XenServer where the VM-Discs are stored on the FreeNAS which will be attached via iSCSI or NFS....

What are your recommendations for that?

Thanks in advice!

danb35

Hall of Famer
I understood that correctly, that the best RAID Option for virtualized VM Storage
No, you do not. For block storage, your priority is IOPS. That means multiple vdevs, and that means that striped mirrors is almost always going to be the best answer.
disable the Sync Option on the ZFS Pool.
Sure, if you don't care about the data being stored.

userx

Dabbler
ok thanks for clarify that!!! so what will be the best option / combination for striped mirrors to take advantage of the 10GBE Network connection?

i have at the maximum 8x SANDISK 800GB CloudSpeed SSD for XenServer Storage (FreeNAS) in that scenario. I have also a 256GB SSD which a can use as a possible Cache Drive. The supermicro x10 srl has 10 SATA Ports ....

Thanks for your support!

Last edited:

userx

Dabbler
at the Moment ive configured 4x Sandisk 800GB with RAID 10 - Sync Option enabled > If i run CrystalMark the Results over 10GBE are

1547393026192.png

ill hope there is more possible in the right configuration (see my question below)