Best Way To Move Data From External Drive & Why Are My Mapped Drives Keep Disconnecting?

ekarni

Explorer
Hello :)

So this post has 2 questions.

1. What is the best way to move data from an External USB drive to a dataset in FreeNAS? I know I can connect the drive to my Windows machine and move it over the network, but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

2. I mapped to network drives to my gaming machine, but every so often they disconnect and I need to manually reconnect them.
Both the server and my computer are wired to the router. I have 2 plugins running on the FreeNAS machine; NextCloud & Plex.

FreeNAS is running on an old machine I had laying around.
FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1
i5 4670K
16GB RAM
GTX 660
10TB WD Red

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forum!

Does your "old machine" motherboard have Realtek NIC's (which are known potential bad-actors with FreeNAS)?

Very difficult to comment on your dropping network issue with more information on your hardware.

Please check out "Forum Rules" on the masthead here - you'll see the request for:

"It's important to remember that hardware information is extremely important when diagnosing problems so please make sure to include this information if you need help troubleshooting a problem. This includes:
  • Motherboard make and model
  • CPU make and model
  • RAM quantity
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
  • Hard disk controllers
  • Network cards"
and more...

The Search function will be able to find you many posts on your USB drive question.

Last edited:

ekarni

Explorer
My apologies

I feel like an idiot... I read the rules but made assumptions about what info you needed and what info you didn't need. I'll update the original post with the full information that I have.

I'm not sure how to get you some of this info though. I know I can get the motherboard details by just looking at it, but I'm not sure about the network cards, controllers, etc

ekarni

Explorer
Okay, doesn't seem like you can edit posts, so here is an update list of details about my machine. Apologies for my idiocy!
FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1
CPU: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB RAM
GPU: GTX 660
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC
HDD: 10TB WD Red - WD101EFAX

Let me know if this is the info you needed.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
My apologies

I feel like an idiot... I read the rules but made assumptions about what info you needed and what info you didn't need. I'll update the original post with the full information that I have.

I'm not sure how to get you some of this info though. I know I can get the motherboard details by just looking at it, but I'm not sure about the network cards, controllers, etc

So imagine how hard it is for those of us who CAN'T lay hands on the hardware or interact with it.

You can reboot your system and usually the BIOS screens or setup screens will give you some indication of what kind of mainboard you have. You can check with the manufacturer's website to pull out some details such as ethernet controller type. You can use "camcontrol devlist" from the command line to get a listing of hard disks attached to the system (usually). It's generally better to provide a little too much detail than far too little.

Redcoat

MVP
OK, thanks for the additional info. With respect to editing posts, AFAIK there's a certain post activity level that has to be passed before the edit capability is triggered - I don't know what the magic number is.

I took a quick look at your mainboard specs - the Ethernet controller section says:

• 1x Killer E2205 Gigabit LAN controller*
* The Killer Network Manager is only available for Windows 7 and Windows 8 currently. The supported drivers for other operating systems would be available on the website if provided by vendor.

Searching here turned up this thread https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/killer-e2205-nic-help.21900/ which I think you will find enlightening.

It may be that you can get a workable, but potentially limited, system if you buy an Intel NIC (search here for info on Intel NICs, many references, go to ebay to buy) and plug it in, also disabling any overclocking, that would allow you to experiment with FreeNAS, but I have low expectations.

ekarni

Explorer
So imagine how hard it is for those of us who CAN'T lay hands on the hardware or interact with it.

You can reboot your system and usually the BIOS screens or setup screens will give you some indication of what kind of mainboard you have. You can check with the manufacturer's website to pull out some details such as ethernet controller type. You can use "camcontrol devlist" from the command line to get a listing of hard disks attached to the system (usually). It's generally better to provide a little too much detail than far too little.

Sorry I don't understand sorry. I added the motherboard to the new list of times with everything else

ekarni

Explorer
OK, thanks for the additional info. With respect to editing posts, AFAIK there's a certain post activity level that has to be passed before the edit capability is triggered - I don't know what the magic number is.

I took a quick look at your mainboard specs - the Ethernet controller section says:

• 1x Killer E2205 Gigabit LAN controller*
* The Killer Network Manager is only available for Windows 7 and Windows 8 currently. The supported drivers for other operating systems would be available on the website if provided by vendor.

Searching here turned up this thread https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/killer-e2205-nic-help.21900/ which I think you will find enlightening.

It may be that you can get a workable, but potentially limited, system if you buy an Intel NIC (search here for info on Intel NICs, many references, go to ebay to buy) and plug it in, also disabling any overclocking, that would allow you to experiment with FreeNAS, but I have low expectations.

The whole goal of this was to save money and use the hardware I have. So you think the disconnection issues and such are because of the NIC?

Redcoat

MVP
The NIC would be my first suspect. Did you read the post in the link that I sent?

ekarni

Explorer
Yeah, I read it, but they are all talking about ECC Memory and someone also suggested a OEM Intel Pro/1000 but didn't give more info about it. Is that what you are talking about?

ekarni

Explorer
How hard is it to install a new NIC? I literally know nothing about this... I thought this would just work :'( Didn't realize some hardware configs weren't supported. That's on me... I was just so excited to finally have a place to store all of my stuff... Wait... Question, could this NIC be the cause of my issues with Plex running in a Jail? I've been talking to Plex about streaming issues since I set it up :(

Redcoat

MVP
There are multiple negative comments about the NIC in that thread - that's what I was pointing you at in support of my initial suspicion.

Yes, the NIC can be the issue with many networking problem.

Installing a PCIe NIC is easy as long as you have an open slot for it. An Intel Pro 1000 would be fine, lots for sale on ebay, there are fakes out there - buy from a US vendor who ships from the US. Go for a dual port version.

ekarni

Explorer
Would I need to re-install FreeNAS or is this mostly a plug & play?

Redcoat

MVP
You would not need to reinstalll FreeNAS.

I have no idea if that's a genuine adapter or not - it does not seem to have a Yottamark (look it up...).

ekarni

Explorer
I have never heard of a Yottamark... Not even sure how I'd find out. I'm gonna try reaching out to a friend that knows this stuff and see if he can help me. Could you just help me with what I should I ask him? I need a NIC card compatible with FreeNAS and my MSI motherboard?

Redcoat

MVP

ekarni

Explorer
So, my friend actually just dropped off a server his wife wanted out of the house.

It is a Dell PowerEdge T610. I looked inside, but this machine looks nothing like a regular desktop that I can't even tell what's inside of it. Should I just stuck with the machine I have now?

From what I can find online, this is what's inside of it, and it is missing a raid controller (according to my friend) so it won't even work right now :(

I know you said I needed 2 ports, but this is the only one I could find with a sticker - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Genu...116184?hash=item366a632418:g:WXkAAOSwj8FfXx6B

A lot of the claim to be real, but don't have stickers, or I don't know what I'm looking for :'(

ekarni

Explorer

Redcoat

MVP
Weill, lucky you - looks like you have something to work with now.

Start by searching here for T610 and reading the threads. In them you will find discussions by people commissioning T610's for FreeNAS, including references to the HBA sitting between the motherboard and the hard disk drives.

Then come back here and ask for help/confirmation on your conclusions and in procuring an appropriate HBA.

What you have is a PERC 700 - search here for that and find out what were recommended replacements. You may be able to sell it and defray the cost of your fresh HBA.

Hopefully when you post back here someone who owns a T610 will answer and provide you with experience-based counsel.